E7 427 Valve set - inoperative engine brakes

SWiber

Hi everyone,

I have a 1998 Mack CH613 with an E7 427 engine. The issue I am having is the engine brakes are not working. I have already tested the solenoids by applying remote power to them, and the wiring is also fine as it is sending power to the engine brake solenoids when it should. I pulled the valve covers and checked the plugs in the ends of the rocker shafts, and they are all in place. I figured a good next step would be to check the valve lash on the engine brakes. I have not worked on one of these engines before, however I have worked on a few Caterpillar C15s and noticed it has a similar engine turning port and my C15 engine turning tool fits in there perfectly. Do these engines have a place you are supposed to pin them for TDC #1 and #6, as with a Cat C15? Any tips for a successful valve set, valve lash specs, or links to service manuals would be greatly appreciated.

are you trying to make the engine brake work at idle? if so with warm oil you might not have enough oil pressure. also if they haven't been rebuilt you might want to get a maintance kit and rebuild the slave's and reseal the silonoids.(misspelled the hell out of that!)as for the valve set either check the wiki section on here or call a dealer and have them copy it for you.

Which style engine brakes? Jacobs? Valve lash info will be on valve cover. Turn the motor over just like your cats. At bottom of flywheel housing remove small cover plate to watch for valve lash position settings. I.e. 1&6etc. Adjust valves for whichever cylinder of the two marked that are loose. Depending on Jake's there are different procedures for the actual adjustment.

Which style engine brakes? Jacobs? Valve lash info will be on valve cover. Turn the motor over just like your cats. At bottom of flywheel housing remove small cover plate to watch for valve lash position settings. I.e. 1&6etc. Adjust valves for whichever cylinder of the two marked that are loose. Depending on Jake's there are different procedures for the actual adjustment.