Clutch Brake

mack88

what would cause a clutch brake to brake.I had one put in my 12speed.used it about 8 hours started going down the road with a load heard a couple of snaps coudn't see anything behind me so i carried on.but when i stopped i found out what that was.I usally don't use the clutch to shift so had me woundering what might cause it to brake .It was a 2 piece.they set the clutch up to but i found it was kind of jumpy in first?

what would cause a clutch brake to brake.I had one put in my 12speed.used it about 8 hours started going down the road with a load heard a couple of snaps coudn't see anything behind me so i carried on.but when i stopped i found out what that was.I usally don't use the clutch to shift so had me woundering what might cause it to brake .It was a 2 piece.they set the clutch up to but i found it was kind of jumpy in first?

depending on what type was used! The two peice type that are hinged just fall apart on their own somtimes!The two peice with pins and the eaton brake the only things that will usually break these is over adjusted clutch brake or pushed to the floor while rolling in gear!If you have another installed I suggest the use of the eaton brake slathered in grease or a pin type babcock brake also slathered in grease on assembly!

the grease will help prevent breakage.I like the eaton brake my self as we have had alot of failures with all of the others greased or not!

depending on what type was used! The two peice type that are hinged just fall apart on their own somtimes!The two peice with pins and the eaton brake the only things that will usually break these is over adjusted clutch brake or pushed to the floor while rolling in gear!If you have another installed I suggest the use of the eaton brake slathered in grease or a pin type babcock brake also slathered in grease on assembly!

the grease will help prevent breakage.I like the eaton brake my self as we have had alot of failures with all of the others greased or not!

thanks for your help. The one they put in first had a hinge with a roll pin,And i don't think they put any grease on it.

thanks for your help. The one they put in first had a hinge with a roll pin,And i don't think they put any grease on it.

Most poeple don't grease em this is an observation out of frustration after a whole summer two years back where we had a rash of clutch brake failures using 4 diffrent styles of brakes the hinge type would fall out after a month the babcock steel ones would shear or break the tabs even set a the very bottom of the stroke the eaton one would break in two with out grease my solution was grease ,and has put a stop to the failures.Some of these failures I beleive were atributed to vibration from the engine or clutch ,some from driver error.either way the grease and the light weight eaton brake was the fix be it right or wrong,

Just somthing folks can try if their having problems like this.