What Do All The Letters And Numbers Mean?

Hey Guys,

I have been looking for a Mack to buy and later put a dump bed on but. What the heck do all the numbers and letters mean? DM, R600, RS686LS, RS, R686ST, and it seems like ther are a lot more mumbers out there too! Maybe there is a book out there that explains it! Any help would be greatly appreciated by this rookie!

Regards, Joel :wacko:

hi wacko, in Australia we've always had a limited range of Macks available, but i'm sure the # are all the same. The 1st letter is the model followed by mayb another to denote a variation of that model. Then the 1st# is the capacity of the truck, i.e. 600 is usually lighter duty in some way than a 700 or an 800. The 2nd 2 # are the engine. In the 70's a 711 would be an R609 or 709or F609,709 etc, a 673Cwould be an R611, a 237 an R685 a truck with an END864T would always be at least a 700, F719 or R719. If there is a 4th # it is often a 4 or a 6, this is 4x4 or 6x6. The next letters are, in Aust an R is for RHD, you probably wouldnt see this much in the US. Next is an S ,T,ST,X,SX. T is a single drive, ST is Tractor, usually a light weight rear like a 34,000lb, S is like 44,000lb an SX or an RSX is usually 55 or 65,000lb rears. In Australia we have A8-FR712RST, A8 is Australian twin steer tandem drive. I think you'll find exceptions to every rule. Hope this explains a bit more. Jeffro.

Edited by jeffbyrne

• 11 years later...