Hydraulic Master Cylinder Work B-model

bobgarvey

I have B-Model dump trucks with 6cyl gas engines. I need to rework the master brake cylinder and find it in a very cumbersome location. Is there something I am missing about getting to it? It seems like the only way to make it really accessible would be to take the floor pan out and that does not seem reasonable. The reservoir fill appears to be from the top, but I don't see an access panel. The manuals don't supply info on how to check or fill.

Bob,

Most of B Models with Hydraulic Brakes I have seen, have a round access panel under the drivers seat about 4" in diameter, with a single screw holding it so you can swing the access panel out of the way to check and refill the fluid level in the master cylinder. Is it possible that someone replaced the floor panel and forgot about the access panel? This would be an easy modification to make it similar to the factory access panel if needed.

If you need hydraulic brake repairs, most of the hydraulic parts are no longer available thru Mack or Napa, I had mine rebulit with brass sleeves by Whitepost for about the same cost as a new master cylinder but the Whitepost rebuild is guarantted for the life of the vehicle- so made more sense to go with Whitepost than a new NAPA master cylinder.

Hope you get this one back on the road for the season,

Firemack

Bob,

Most of B Models with Hydraulic Brakes I have seen, have a round access panel under the drivers seat about 4" in diameter, with a single screw holding it so you can swing the access panel out of the way to check and refill the fluid level in the master cylinder. Is it possible that someone replaced the floor panel and forgot about the access panel? This would be an easy modification to make it similar to the factory access panel if needed.

If you need hydraulic brake repairs, most of the hydraulic parts are no longer available thru Mack or Napa, I had mine rebulit with brass sleeves by Whitepost for about the same cost as a new master cylinder but the Whitepost rebuild is guarantted for the life of the vehicle- so made more sense to go with Whitepost than a new NAPA master cylinder.

Hope you get this one back on the road for the season,

Firemack

Thanks for the info. I have 3 similar trucks and will check out the other 2 to see if they have the access panel. If so I will know the position, size etc. and can do the fabrication you suggest. If not I can measure and do the same.