Another New Guy From The North

AFDNY

hello folks...i belong to the Attica NY fire dept. we have a 1937 mack/buffalo pumper that has been in the fire dept since it was new. it was restored sometime around 1977 by the young fire equipment in lancaster Ny. my father who is 70 years young and myself have been doing some much needed work on her this winter...took the oil pan off just to check things out..took all the wheels off to check brakes....every thing is going good except we are having trouble with the glass on the gauge's in the dash..the one that has the 4 smaller gauge's in it..the oil pressure, gas level,water temp & charging (i think) was broken years ago while changing the clutch...we have no idea how to get it apert to replace the glass. any help on that would be great. :mack1:

Some gauges have the bezel pressed on and cannot be removed without cutting the bezel and prying it off the guage housing. If you can take a picture of the gauge and back of the gauge and post it on the site , we should be able to determine how to take it apart. I have a guy here in my Fire Department and he works with gauges and might be able to take it apart, and get the new glass made, or worst case there are gauge repair companies that will restore the gauge to like new but costs a few $$$. Start with posting the pictures then we can help you decide what path will work best.

Firemack

hello folks...i belong to the Attica NY fire dept. we have a 1937 mack/buffalo pumper that has been in the fire dept since it was new. it was restored sometime around 1977 by the young fire equipment in lancaster Ny. my father who is 70 years young and myself have been doing some much needed work on her this winter...took the oil pan off just to check things out..took all the wheels off to check brakes....every thing is going good except we are having trouble with the glass on the gauge's in the dash..the one that has the 4 smaller gauge's in it..the oil pressure, gas level,water temp & charging (i think) was broken years ago while changing the clutch...we have no idea how to get it apert to replace the glass. any help on that would be great. :mack1:

A good machine shop should be able to put it in a lathe and cut the chrome bezel in half to seperate it, and silicone it back together, I'm in the Smithfield Pa dept, hope this helps, tom