My "b" Progress

Finally started the restoration process (dissassembly), after owning the truck two years. It was starting to deteriate more and more sitting out, so it was time to get at it before it was left to "rot" I removed the cab last weekend, and I am going to pick some more off the frame this weekend. Some progress anyway. Posted some pics in my gallery... for some reason could not upload into this topic. I have been able to do it before, but I must be brain dead at the moment.

Happy Turkey!

Dave

• 1 month later...

Well finally the truck is stripped to a bare frame. Engine, trans, differentals are all independent pieces right now. Slow and steady! LOL

Dave

Well, I guess I need a tutorial on getting pictures here!LOL Will try and post in gallery.

Edited by 95k1500

• 2 months later...

Progress, as always slow. Trans number two is about ready for some paint. Frame is totally stripped and I am exploring the option of refinishing. Looking at paint vs. powder. I am eally thinking in the direction of powder, unless someone can talk me ot of it. Any thoughts? Anywho some pics in the gallery, will try and post something more current here soon. The picture of my avatar is my truck that is now in pieces.

Dave

I have had great results with epoxy primer and a good chassis paint over the primer.

This has been my finish of choice for a number of automobile restorations. It is simple and long lasting,

if applied over a sandblasted and cleaned surface.

Some late model Class 8 trucks have factory applied powder coated frames. (Peterbilt is one I believe).

If you take a look, you will see good examples of why not to powder coat the frame.

The moisture that accumulates behind the powder coating lifts the finish in large sheets,

probably because the powder finish has a pretty strong surface strength and the finish doesn't fracture easily; whereas

the moisture that accumulates under paint will typically be absorbed into the paint itself and evaporated into the air,

or it might lift only a small paint chip, rather than a large sheet of finish.

And, as an economical benefit, you can apply the paint and primer yourself.

Just something to consider. There isn't really a right or a wrong.

Preparation is the underlying key to a successful frame finish, no matter what you use.

Keep us posted.

Paul Van Scott