1995 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke blow-by problems

jakebrake86

Ok, I bought this truck at an auction the other day. I noticed right off that the valve cover gaskets were leaking and the glowplugs weren't working, so the other night I changed the gaskets and plugs. I noticed alot of oil in the intake where the blow by tube is routed. Also, the dip stick tube was loose, so I put a new o ring on it, along with a little dab of silicone. It's still leaking there, and you can see the blow by coming up from where it goes in the block. Could it be that the catalytic converter is stopped up, creating backpressure? It has plenty of power though?? :idunno: Also, this truck is pretty tight and only showing 84,000 miles. The motor does have a reman tag on it, though, so that kind of makes me wonder....

Jake

hows the oil pressure? Do an oil annalasis on it. Also marvel mystery oil in the case. How long has it sat? My cummins has blowby which irks me to no end but hell the truck would sit 3 to 6 months at a time. Tried marvel and it has helped but not stopping the blowby. It runs like a top though.

Yep, 15w40 rotella and maybe a little Lucas in the summer. I guess the 30 weight does better up north? We rarely get below 20 degrees down here in the dead of winter. Also, turns out the glow plugs were fine, but I changed them anyway since I had the valve covers off. The glow plug relay was the real problem.

Jake

Try motorkote. It ain't cheap but been using it since I had the engine down and I really like the ulsd additive. Trucks smooths right out. I use a quart 1/4 gallon every oil change. I think it is alot better then lucas. ( my opinion.) What I have seen with lucas. Maybe it was lack of oil changes was when they tore the engine down. ( no not mine) thy had to pry it off some of the parts. The fuel additive of theres seemed to give me worse mileage in my pickup and it didn't like it.