Nothing I would call a dead miss or total loss of any one cylinder, however pulling a hill loaded there is an rpm drop that comes and goes. Just when it seems like the truck is going to take off and pull strong, all of the sudden an rpm loss will occur. It may only last between 3 and 7 seconds and then the engine will pick back up. The light is usually not on at this point. I seem to see the light first thing in the morning and that about it for the day. When the light comes on during morning warm up I will read the codes at that point, like I said sometimes an 8-1 sometimes an 8-3. I was hoping for a wiring connection or some corrosion issue. Probably cant get that lucky.

Check the wiring under the unit pump covers as the wiring gets old it gets brittle make sure that they are not rubbing against the cover or block . Unplug module and check pins for debris or coolant/oil/rust . You could also remove and swap unit pump to a differant cylinder to confirm that unit pump has failed.

Dropping out could be almost anything shorted alt , block ground , fuel psi ,unit pump, throttle pedal , power relay 1-4 ...... hummmm where to start ?

Flashing and reprogramming the EECU and VECU is always a win-win for the truck. Even if it doesnt repair the problem it definitely wont hurt it. People who never take their trucks to dealer will most likely have some type of software update. Im a big fan of updating software levels. Out with old, in with the new.