Funny story About the Rd Mack

In the 70's I bought an R- Model tractor that had been used inside a chemical co plant since new. The truck had quite possibility the rustiest cab I had ever seen,yet the odometer showed maybe 30K miles, which I knew to be correct cause the truck had never been licensed for the road.

Once we had the truck at my shop, just to prove a point, I got inside the cab and put my back against the headliner and pushed..... Needless to say but the whole roof came off and we used it that way as a "convertible"spotter truck to move trailers in and out of the shop until a suitable donor cab became available.

The speculation about how this R-Model became "topless" ran the gamut from "It must've been going down the road and got caught in a crosswind" to "Mack just don't build em like they used to." or "did the driver get killed"?Plus countless more, but it most always drew some kind of comment from everyone who saw it , Macks have always rusted but this one was in a category all it's own!

• Like 2