driveline angles

i have a mack cl700 with rockwell full locking rears on hendrickson walking beam suspension. i have eating u joints lately on a regular basis in the short shaft between the rear ends . i checked the angle and it is at 18 degrees . is this bad ? what angle should it be ?

i have seen alot of walking beams with missing bump stops. The front one especially would cause the issue you speak of. Usually if the U joints are being streched beyond their limit, you will see marks on the yokes where the yokes have been touching. If you have half round joints( two caps have caps on the end with hex bolt holding them, two caps are held in by straps with 12 point bolts), the 12 point bolts will have the heads smashed in some fasion. Each series of joints have a particular angle limits, but im guessing you have 1810 or maybe 1760 as an intermediate shaft and 23 -30 degrees is acceptable when your talking 13 to 18 inches center of joint to center of joint.

Check this out http://www2.dana.com/pdf/IJ900.pdf

There Is No Replacement, For Displacement!!!!!