425 65r 22.5 tires and balance beads

macattack

got some balance beads put in my front 425 65r 22.5 steers. definately helped out my bounce wobble, but its still there.

the fellow at the tire shop said they put in 12oz in each,

i think maybe the4y need more. i read should be around 16 to even as hi as 20.

anybody with the same tires run the cbb beads.

also what do you think the tire pressure should be on this big tires?

thanks

I use equal tire balancer in mine and it works pretty good, the last 425's I bought were Michelin XZY-3's they were pretty smooth rollin tires and I think we put the 10oz packs in them, I dont know what kind of tires you have but that has a lot to do with it. I dont know if you have the ability to jack your truck up but if you do jack up one side at a time to get the tire off the ground and put something(hammer,rock,board whatever) on the ground as a reference and get it spinning and watch your reference point to see if its out of round, many are and you cant get all the bounce out of them. If its out of round you can have them trued but that rarely solves the issue and it cuts your rubber away so they wear out faster, I dont know if adding more balancer will solve it for you or not but you should be able to use less internal balancer since it goes directly to the out of round, or low area in the tire. As for tire pressure I always run 5 psi under the max inflation pressure as it reads on the sidewall on a steer axle, If your running a front loader you should run at least 5 psi under if not at max inflation pressure I would guess your front axle loading is close to 16-18000 on the road (with a full load) and the 425's should be rated somewhere near 21000 for the pair at max inflation, figure 2500lb drop in capacity per 5 psi of pressure till you get to about 80 then 5-7000lb loss per 5 psi. I hope that helps I tried to get the most out of my tires so I messed with balance and inflation a lot and I seem to have about half ass figured it out after nearly two decades of trying(yeah I started trucking at 16). In my dump trucks I ran 5psi under in my steers unless it the temp was over 90 outside then i dropped 10 psi from max, my drives I run 5-10psi under depending on how they react at each for a week or two then I drop them 10-15 under if its over 90 I found this keeps tire wear even and blowouts to a minimum when your running over 70,000lbs on a tri axle sometimes over 80,000, oops did I say that!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I use equal tire balancer in mine and it works pretty good, the last 425's I bought were Michelin XZY-3's they were pretty smooth rollin tires and I think we put the 10oz packs in them, I dont know what kind of tires you have but that has a lot to do with it. I dont know if you have the ability to jack your truck up but if you do jack up one side at a time to get the tire off the ground and put something(hammer,rock,board whatever) on the ground as a reference and get it spinning and watch your reference point to see if its out of round, many are and you cant get all the bounce out of them. If its out of round you can have them trued but that rarely solves the issue and it cuts your rubber away so they wear out faster, I dont know if adding more balancer will solve it for you or not but you should be able to use less internal balancer since it goes directly to the out of round, or low area in the tire. As for tire pressure I always run 5 psi under the max inflation pressure as it reads on the sidewall on a steer axle, If your running a front loader you should run at least 5 psi under if not at max inflation pressure I would guess your front axle loading is close to 16-18000 on the road (with a full load) and the 425's should be rated somewhere near 21000 for the pair at max inflation, figure 2500lb drop in capacity per 5 psi of pressure till you get to about 80 then 5-7000lb loss per 5 psi. I hope that helps I tried to get the most out of my tires so I messed with balance and inflation a lot and I seem to have about half ass figured it out after nearly two decades of trying(yeah I started trucking at 16). In my dump trucks I ran 5psi under in my steers unless it the temp was over 90 outside then i dropped 10 psi from max, my drives I run 5-10psi under depending on how they react at each for a week or two then I drop them 10-15 under if its over 90 I found this keeps tire wear even and blowouts to a minimum when your running over 70,000lbs on a tri axle sometimes over 80,000, oops did I say that!

Idk I ran Continentals and when I put Michilins up front XFE I had them spun balanced. Did great. Been wanting to put Centramatics on. also gonna go to a place in Miami or out here in Tx. they high speed,true the wheels and worse case trim alittle to round them if out of round. that is gonna be my next move when I do my kingpins finish out this set of steers and either go back to the XFE, or the continentals again highway tread only

Also i run right at max pressure. in all my tires. If it gets hot above 98 I slow down. in the 100's I run 55 if it gets over 110 I slow down to 53 or slower. Tires are hotter then hell but stay together. hell you can peel the rubber off just wiping the tires. Never ran the tires lower then max unless I had a leak

Idk I ran Continentals and when I put Michilins up front XFE I had them spun balanced. Did great. Been wanting to put Centramatics on. also gonna go to a place in Miami or out here in Tx. they high speed,true the wheels and worse case trim alittle to round them if out of round. that is gonna be my next move when I do my kingpins finish out this set of steers and either go back to the XFE, or the continentals again highway tread only

Also i run right at max pressure. in all my tires. If it gets hot above 98 I slow down. in the 100's I run 55 if it gets over 110 I slow down to 53 or slower. Tires are hotter then hell but stay together. hell you can peel the rubber off just wiping the tires. Never ran the tires lower then max unless I had a leak

I hear ya, the continentals do pretty good, the best drives I ever had on a road truck were M726EL's from Bridgestone the best on a dump were General MS520's, I try to run right at max otr maybe 5 under if Im light more than not, but doing what he does and dump trucking here tires take a beating in the summer and 10 psi (cold) seems to keep the max pressure in the heat of the day down, I checked em one day after I ran a couple loads i the summer the tires were hot to the touch and the pressure was up to 146 I remember it well it scared the crap out of me the max inflation on those was 110. tahts when I started really playing with tire pressures and it helps on heavy haul, not as much otr.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Looking at the continetal HSL2 eco's gonna do all 8 when the time comes. not a lug tire but hell last time I got stuck I broke thru the grass after I hooked up and wet clay didn't help. All 8 tires just spinning. I don't do a ton of off road and now with the prezbo reelected I want to help my bottom line as much as possible. Those got the best rolling resistence in a 16 ply tire and putting the Mich on my lift axle and trailer XZA2 Energy. put 4 on and hell I noticed fuel mileage of the bat and they are over 2.5 years old. Down fall 130 psi tire.and 18 ply. Well for the smaller tires 18 ply bigger tires 16 but only 4 tires in that model and all 22.5's

• 2 weeks later...

more air = stiffer ride??

Yes to an extent, do you want the tires to last and wear evenly or is it worth the help in the ride to replace tires more often and possibly have a bounce, or a shake?