registering truck in CT questions answered

Jamied625

Well I spent my satuarday mornig at the DMV trying to finally register my R model. I had a VIN check, registration form, bill of sale, insurance card and a blank check. So i get up to the counter and the lady tells me that I need a form fro the DOT saying that the truck is exempt from the annual inspection and that my VIN check is too old and I need to go get it done again. So thats what it takes to register a truck in CT: VIN check, form, insurance, bill of sale and dot exempt form. Figured I would let everyone know because there has been a couple of posts about registering trucks.

Why would you need an exempt form from DOT, if you are requesting antique Plates? The vehicle is no longer considered commercial if antique plates are issued and therefore all commercial vehicle laws no longer apply to that vehicle. The vehicle can not be used commercially nor can it be used to generate revenue with antique plates. A CDL is not required to operate it All you need is a VIN verification form, regestration appliecation, bill of sale and proof of insurance. I went directly to the horse, Weathersfield DMV and was out of the building with plates in 15 minutes. Good Luck. Jim

Rustednut