how do you replace center bearing?

macattack

checked out the center bearing today. i laid down underneath the driveshaft and pushed up on the shaft. the rubber squished about a 1/4 inch maybe a little less. does this mean its bad or just weak rubber? i was told they all move in the rubber just as long as the bearing is tight your good.

?????

also if i replace it can i leave the one driveshaft hooked to the trans and just rest it on some jack stands to replace the center bearing?

what is the best way to replace the center bearing?

thanks

Well 1/4" play is not usually excessive. Why were you checking the bearing, is there an unusual vibration in the running gear? The U-Joints typically wear out first causing some harmonic vibrations, when the center bearing goes it's usually a catastrophic failure causing the truck to rattle your teeth out, accompanied by a burning rubber smell. . . . . just my $0.02 but if you're chasing a slight vibration start with U-joints, followed by trans output bearing and pinion input bearing. Even a tire vibration can feel like driveline rumble, be sure to take that out of the equation before assuming your center support bearing is bad. If it does turn out to be bad, installation of the new one typically requires pulling the driveshaft and bringing it to the driveshaft shop for press fit, otherwise it will be no better than the bad one you replaced. That's the only way I've seen it performed successfully.

thanks. i have a wobble/wiggle that happens around 35-40mph. been fighting it for a while . i replaced bushings.pads,tie rods, springs,torque rods tires balanced etc... i just did my torque rods the old ones rubbers were squished. gonna give it a try in a few days see if i solved anything.