1993 mack ch613 w/400

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem as mine. This 1993 ch613 starts awesome and runs well but for the last year plus the truck stalls randomly. It is almost always while engine breaking, but several times it has failed to start. By fail to start I mean if I engage the starter for 5 revolutions and it isn't running it isn't going to start, if I cycle the key; as soon as the starter engages its running. only once did I have to cycle a third time. I have had several mechanics look at it several times but with it running fine at the time they can't find anything wrong. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

hotwrench500

• 1 month later...

Was this an issue with the electrical connector leading to the bosch electronic injection pump on an E7? maybe a wire towards the outside like maybe the pump power wire?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

84superdog: Thanks for responding. in answer to you post; no sir, well not sure. The rig failed to start so I opened the harness to check individual wires for breaks, shorts rub throughs...whatever. found nothing. so cycled the key from off to run 3-4 times and started, ran a minute and stalled. cycled again started ran stalled. noticed the shutdown relay was hot, swapped with horn relay started and ran great. picked up new relay and trucked never missed a beat for a month then same symptoms started again. leaning towards Bosch module but not too sure. no codes in ecm. engine brake solenoids ohm fine, new wires internal and external to engine brake solenoids, new power-up solenoid and new engine brake relay. been looking for a manual but no luck. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

84superdog: Thanks for responding. in answer to you post; no sir, well not sure. The rig failed to start so I opened the harness to check individual wires for breaks, shorts rub throughs...whatever. found nothing. so cycled the key from off to run 3-4 times and started, ran a minute and stalled. cycled again started ran stalled. noticed the shutdown relay was hot, swapped with horn relay started and ran great. picked up new relay and trucked never missed a beat for a month then same symptoms started again. leaning towards Bosch module but not too sure. no codes in ecm. engine brake solenoids ohm fine, new wires internal and external to engine brake solenoids, new power-up solenoid and new engine brake relay. been looking for a manual but no luck. Thanks for the help.

Reminds me of problem I have seen before, I used to work on Volvo 240 series cars. Almost all their electronics are Bosch on the injection system. The relays always needed to be opened up, re-soldered, they are known to be problematic. If you look on turbobricks.com you can see some pictures of what I am talking about. Good luck!