Ted Campbell needs photos of B model loggers

Tedcamp

I logged on the west coast, started with a B-61 pulling a Columbia trailer. I replaced the bunks with 12', turned them parallel to the frame and ran out on the highway, passed the off-highway rigs who had to stay on the company road, swung the bunks, then came back with a full bundle to tidewater. After a year I realized the poor little END683 - 205 HP engine just wasn't going to last much longer so I traded it in on a B833SX and a 25 ton Columbia. That truck had a turbo-charged 220 Cummins putting out 262 HP. With the Quad box it made a nice unit. Our camp was all Rigid-frame Kenworth and HDX Hayes mostly with 12V92 and Allison Torquematics. Naturally everyone looked down their nose at anything with a bulldog on the hood. Three years and we never had a problem that was due to Mack. Tires and brakes wear out on every truck. To my great sorrow I never got a picture of either of them. I've written a book I call FIFTY YEARS OF TRUCKING FROM FLATHEAD FORD TO LONG NOSE PETE. I'd like to add a chapter about my Macks and sure would appreciate getting a picture of any B model logger to use. I'll send a copy of the book to anyone who can send me a picture and will add a by - line with your name on it. My email is: tedcamp@telus.net. Thanks

By the way I also worked for Mack twice, once in Calgary as the Dealership driver, years later I worked as a salesmen in Langley B.C. My background as a trucker made it easy to demonstrate trucks to buyers and I sold a lot. Best of all I had many clients bring their brothers and sons into me to buy a truck.

Great story!

Did you ever meet Finley Hays, the editor of Log Trucker and Loggers World? I still get those magazines and love to see the west coast logging trucks/equipment. His editorials were great.

We do some small logging on the farms we own here in Missouri, a big load for us is 4000 board feet and, with fields all around the woods, a long skid is 600 feet. Nothing like out west!