History of reefer trailers

Olivetroad

Does anyone know much about the early reefer trailers or where I can find info?

I cut up a couple of newer reefer trailers this last week which are becoming backup units for some local butcher shops and a wealthy dudes deer camp.

I got to wondering what engines were used in the first reefers and how all they changed over the years.

I have seen real old railroad box cars with little 2 cylinder detroits in them - was that similar to truck trailers?

Does anyone know much about the early reefer trailers or where I can find info?

I cut up a couple of newer reefer trailers this last week which are becoming backup units for some local butcher shops and a wealthy dudes deer camp.

I got to wondering what engines were used in the first reefers and how all they changed over the years.

I have seen real old railroad box cars with little 2 cylinder detroits in them - was that similar to truck trailers?

Early Refrigerated trailers with ThermoKing units were first powered by Mercedes, then Isuzu. I have a selective memory when it comes to Carrier units, I owned two new Phoenix Advantage units that I bought new in 1991, neither gave good service. TK is the best for produce, or anything else that you don't want flash frozen.