Help with charge air water hose

thebaz

I have a 350hp maxidyne with charge air intercooler and I am pretty sure that the hose from the water manifold to the water manifold that is part of the inter-cooler is leaking.

Can I remove the rear water manifold to replace the hose without taking off the inlet manifold? If not, what is the simplest way to replace the hose?

Baz

Baz, you shouln't have to remove the rear section to do this. If you slit the old hose to remove it and use a new silicone hose it will go on. I suggest a silicone hose because it is softer and will be easier to get on . I use dish soap like Dawn or Joy to lube it up. You should have no problem, Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve,

It has a Silicone hose on there now and I was intending to replace it with another silicone hose. Have you done this before? If the gap is big enough to fit the hose in without removing anything that would sure be easy and save a heap of time.

Baz, yea, I've done this lots of timesWe ran a fleet of 25+ of these . Normally you can get the hose on, there is only about a half an inch betwwen the water manifold sections. If you run out of patience remove the rear section. You'l need a 9/16 swivel head wrench to get the 2 lower bolts. Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve,

Replace the hose yesterday. There was a gap of around 3/16" between the two pipes, so I had to pull the water manifold off to fit the hose. No real big deal, and no leaks now. Hose had the tiniest pin prick that made it hard to see the leak even when pressure testing the cooling system. It leaked real for a few hours bad before I discovered it was leaking and then hardly leaked at all after that and the hose looked dry so it looked like it was leaking from behind the oil filters. All things considered, an easy fix for what could have been a disaster if the hose had completely blown. .

Thanks for your help.

Rob