237 To 300 Engine Swap

I'm looking into an engine swap for my 74rd. The 237 still running well, but burning a gallon of oil in 8-10 hrs of operation. It's only going to get worse once the temps warm up. Been told to look for a 2v 300 for a swap out. The problem is, with the steel nose on my truck, I think the air to air intercooler out of the question. Can you run a 300 2v with out the intercooler, and if you can is it still a 300?

:mack1: Hi 37blackwood. Yes you shouldn't have a problem fitting an air to air in the Flintstone. There was lots of em over here in OZ. Just get air cleaner bracket & aircleaner. Don't forget to get the stiffener plate for behind the aircleaner bracket. You prob get one out of an old cab at the wreckers. you need it to stop the aircleaner cracking the cab. As for running the 300 without the aftercooler Don't work i'm afraid too mutch fuel the pyro will go off the guage sorta melt the turbo. If you got a 1200 ft/lbs gearbox not a problem Regards Mark

• 8 months later...

definatly don't run a 300 with out the intercooler you will melt er down and be on the sluggish side. If it was me i would just do a inframe rebuilt and you should be good to go. also a 237 block and a 300 block is the same and you can convert your 237 to a 300 if you want to go that route i have done it before in my 74 R-600. Someone correct me if i am wrong its been years ago since i done it and i believe you gotta change crank,rods,pump injectors and turbo to convert it to a 300