Diff locks

ThaddeusW

So the other weekend I finally got my forklift delivered. It needs a distributor so it doesn't run. To make a long story short I had to drag it off the trailer with the B. It sat over the winter and one of the front brake drums rusted solid to the shoes. I had a hell of a time getting it up the driveway incline, had to jack the front end up with a pallet jack to get it rolling. Its so damn heavy that i finally ran out of traction and the left rear wheels started spinning. The lift is sitting in the middle of the yard, not completely blocking everything but its in the way.

Its a 6x2, one axle is a lift axle and I am a bit worried about traction on soft ground (Eg. at truck shows on grass or dirt). I was wondering what it would take to install a locker on the diff. Does the entire carrier have to be replaced? Or can one add a locker kit to the existing diff? Or should I not worry about it?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Thad, If I remember correctly you have two other issues being the broken parts on the tag and highway gearing. You can solve all three by rolling a camelback under it and ending up with a very usable truck. On a side note, did you make an offer on the trailer?

Thad, If I remember correctly you have two other issues being the broken parts on the tag and highway gearing. You can solve all three by rolling a camelback under it and ending up with a very usable truck. On a side note, did you make an offer on the trailer?

I have thought about going to a full tandem. The thing is if it aint broke, don't fix it. She runs good and I am happy with that. However, I am not going to rule out that upgrade entirely.

I gave it thought and I just don't have the room. I am going to inquire about the price when I take lunch in a few minutes. Its such a shame too because it looks solid, not bent up and I like that it still has the old school 6 spoke 15" hubs all around. If I could rent a cheap parking spot for it that would be an option. But Id rather know the person who owns the lot. I have heard a few horror stories about stolen trucks and trucks getting scrapped because the lot owner lost the truck owners number and needs to clear the lot to sell the land. If it was cheap, and I had a parking spot I would seriously consider buying it.

But like everything else its another project on my plate. So far I have a 61 Mack and a 48 Clark forklift to work on. If I did get that trailer, it would be last on the list for restoration and would sit around for a while. And I am sure my current 5th wheel is shot, the slider track is heavily rust pitted and the whole thing is frozen up. I don't know if I can truly trust the 5th wheel as of yet.

-Thad

You could always park the truck on the trailer to save room.

LOL stop giving me ideas. Seriously though, I gave it thought and Ill have to pass. Maybe someone else can buy it and save it from the scrap heap.

-Thad

I'll look at it when I'm up there in Dec.

They need to have an offer by Nov 15th. They are moving shop and have to get rid of it. The guy did tell me that is someone were serious and put a deposit on the trailer, they would hold onto it for a month or two.

-Thad