Red Coolant swap

a5redwing

The parts changer I use suggested after I flushed the coolant in my 99 mack that I should swap over to red coolant. After a few minutes of thinking and talking about it I did it. He claims It doesn't need any additive and is better for the motor. I don't know if he was blowing smoke or not so i did it. Any known downsides or issues with swapping? Thanks for any help.

Drew

The only issue would be to make sure ALL of the old green coolant is gone. Even a small amount of ethelyne glycol will defeat the advantage of the new red exteded life coolant.

If your engine has the coolant conditioner/filter spin-on, change at the recommended interval and no other additives are needed.

Gregg

The only issue would be to make sure ALL of the old green coolant is gone. Even a small amount of ethelyne glycol will defeat the advantage of the new red exteded life coolant.

If your engine has the coolant conditioner/filter spin-on, change at the recommended interval and no other additives are needed.

Gregg

We flushed it, but I'm sure it will need to be flushed again later. I put on a new coolant filter on every oil change (10,000 mi.). He wanted me to run straight water and cascade detergent and let it dry over the weekend and I chose not to in case some work came up.

Drew

Over changing the coolant filter is bad for the cooling system too. The additive packages end up causing sludge to build up. You need to check the coolant with test strips that will indicate how much additive you have in the coolant. Personally, I think I would have stuck with the same coolant you were running, as long as you haven't had any problems that could be tied to it.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

If you're useing red antifreeze you replace the coolant fiter with an empty can or if it has taps to the filter turn them off. The red antifreeze has a different protection package in it. Depending on whose red antifreeze you are useing you don't have to check for many years and you need different test stips to check it. The regular DCA test stips always show red antifreeze being good.