oil leak inside inspection cover for clutch mack 18 speed

dkv411

im about to do the second clutch job in a year in my 99 ch613 e7 460 vmac 3 18 spd maxitorque t2130. the clutch is acting like it broke another spring on the pressure plate but there is a oil cooler line that kinda wraps around the clutch area and appears that it is leaking trans oil in there the plan is to pull the trans replace this line all the clutch components (again) and do a rear main seal and input shaft. just wondering how big of a job the rear main seal and the input shaft is going to be and if im barking up the wrong tree on the leak in there? also can anyone give me some coaching or lead me to some material about doing the rear main i've never done this on a deisel and i had the clutch done at a shop but i supplied the parts so there is no labor warrenty so ganna have to do it myself? thank you in advance for any advice...

If the oil cooler tube inside the bell housing is leaking replace it with 42QE3224 (25134175), this is a flexible line rather than a solid steel tube. It needs to be clamped to the countershaft covers with cushioned "P" clamps. Make sure to get new snap rings for the input shaft on the transmission. Pay attention to which spiral snap ring goes where, there are two of them and they are pretty close in size.

Use the rear main seal with the wear ring. Install the seal to the deepest setting allowed by the main seal installation tool. Get the right tool to install it, don't try knocking it in with a hammer.

• Like 1

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

It's a Mack/Kent Moore tool. Last I checked it was over $500 and the tool for the wear ring is a separate tool. You might look into having a dealership install the seal for you so it's covered by warranty. Manuals are readily available, the publication number is 5-106.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

i wimped out neither of my mack dealers would order the tool for me and they are to far away to borrow it. but my small shop has a mack experianced tech and he can borrow the tool. so im gonna have them do this job. thanks for all the help htough.--brian