Transmission And Differential Lubes

Guest Bollweevil

Guest Bollweevil

There have been several discussions lately concerning gear lubes. Let me reiterate what HK trucking had to say about using the gear oil specified by Mack, or who ever built your truck. This advise holds true for any piece of construction equipment. Always use the correct weight and type of oil. Now as a cautionary note, all gear oils are not compatible. You can't mix mineral oil , regular gear oil , and synthetics. You may end up with a slime ball of goop that won't flow or pour, much less lubricate. I have seen this with my own eyes. I've had to build several road rangers for this very reason. If you don't know what you have, don"t add to it, dump it. Just be sure to bring it up to operating temperature first, as it will drain better. Replacing gear oil is not the time to get cheap. Use the best quality available. A five gallon bucket of oil is a lot less expensive, than a transmission, or differential.. A lot of our members build and collect trucks as a hobby, then again a lot of us make a living with them every day. most of what I know about trucks, and, trucking , I've had to learn the hard way. Thank goodness there have been some people along the way that were willing to share their knowledge, and experience. I really enjoy this web site, and look forward every day to see what you guy's have had to say. James