Reccomend Me A Project Truck

Greetings all!

First, a word of introduction. I grew up as a farm boy in southern middle Tennessee in the early 80's. During that time, a lot of phosphate mining was going on in that area. About 90% of the tri-axle dumps hauling phosphate were Macks. I spent many an evening in Spring Hill sitting on my pickup tailgate enjoying the show as steady stream of bulldogs pulled the grade through town.

To this day, I still remember the unmistakeable sound of the 285s and 315s. The errie pitch of the turbo spooling up with the high-pitched whine of the tip-turbine slightly lagging behind it was music to my ears. When the drivers let off the throttle, you could hear the pitch of the turbo fall, while the tip-turbine seemed to stay high, I suppose, propelled by the boost pressure backed up in the intake plenum as the engine RPM dropped.

I've even had the pleasure of piloting what I believe was a late-seventies RS700L tractor with a 285 on a 30 mile bobtail run.

All of which brings me to the point of my post. I'm looking for a project truck to re-create and re-enjoy these memories. I'd like to find the smallest and most maneuverable platform that was equipped with a tip-turbine aftercooled engine. Perhaps a single-axle dump or a single-axle tractor. It would basically be a toy, but I operate and develop a number of pieces of rental property, so I could probably find some limited work for it, hauling a bit of topsoil, or pulling a small lowboy to haul equipment.

I'd sure love to hear any suggestions that you veterans might have on an appropriate platform for this project.

John

[Edit] I also remember that some of the larger Ford ag tractors were equipped with the same Garrett tip-turbine aftercooler setup. I remember being at a tractor pull with a Ford TW-30 pulling the sled back and hearing that unmistakeable sound. Is anyone aware of any other engine applications that used this unique setup?

welcome to the board John. :)

Im no veteran as im only 26 but I do have a long family history of owning macks. and you are correct tip turbines do sound cool pulling a load. as a kid I thought they were twin turbos... LOL

Lots of R models are becomeing fairly cheep to buy so just keep your eyes open on ebay and truckpaper.com. thats where I found my current truck. A tandem axel would be best in my opinion, that way you can basicly pull what ever you want. A short WB is great for the city but I always liked the med stretched frame as it will ride a little better and have room for tool boxes and other goodies. just dont be in a hurry I made that mistake with my first truck and later found all sorts of major problems. take your time and ask lots of questions

here is a pic of my mack with your favioret 285 Tip Turbine.

trent

Trent,

Thanks for the welcome!

This is sort of what I had in mind:

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/forsale...C3C5441069A6AB3

I expect most of these little s/a tractors will have 675/237 power. Would an engine swap be required to get to a 285, or would it be possible to turn a 237 into a 285 by swapping out turbo/injectors/pump/aftercooler, etc?

John

welcome to the board John. :)

Im no veteran as im only 26 but I do have a long family history of owning macks. and you are correct tip turbines do sound cool pulling a load. as a kid I thought they were twin turbos... LOL

Lots of R models are becomeing fairly cheep to buy so just keep your eyes open on ebay and truckpaper.com. thats where I found my current truck. A tandem axel would be best in my opinion,  that way you can basicly pull what ever you want. A short WB is great for the city but I always liked the med stretched frame as it will ride a little better and have room for tool boxes and other goodies. just dont be in a hurry I made that mistake with my first truck and later found all sorts of major problems. take your time and ask lots of questions

here is a pic of my mack with your favioret 285 Tip Turbine.

trent