swap an ENDT673 with a 707C

convoyduel

I have a CF with a 673/Allison combo that I'm thinking about taking the engine/tranny combo out of and swapping it into my '68 R608F with a Mack 5 speed. Anyone know if the engine mounts on a 707C and a 673 line up the same? The clutch is slipping on the 707C/5Spd and I'd really rather have the diesel than the 707C.

It should work, with help of a good friend, mostly my good friend I replaced a 707 with an ENDTF673 in my 63 C85. The engine went in with no problems. The doner truck was another C85 so it dropped right in and I had all the proper brakets to make it look like it rolled of the line with the 673 in it.

Curently I am putting an ENDTF673 in a 1961 C85 ladder truck. The motor for this was a take out from a later model truck most likley a CF. The front mount had to be changed with the one from the 707. We are using the 5 speed that was in the ladder truck. In order to do this the bell housing was also taken from the 707 because of a difference in the clutch. The second engine swap is not as smooth as the first one but its going well. Using the Allison sounds good, before you dive into it I suggest you spend time looking at both rigs closley. Make sure to measure how much longer the Allison is then the 5 speed to be sure its not to long. The drive shaft between the rear of the transmition and the transfer case for the pump is not that long. I'm not saying its a walk in the park but you should be able to do it. The up side for your swap is the R model is a standard commercial chassis and a deisiel was most common in the vehicle so what ever you need to do the job should be out there.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.