other dog to the white curtesy phone please

slpwlker

when did the All American truck stop in doswell close? Was a shock when i went to pull in and most of the lot is barricaded. hell exit 104 has changed to getting into the old petro.

Jeez,the all-americans been closed for a while,i was told it had to do with health code violations,structural problems etc. with no money to repair. I fell into the 104 cluster#$%k/trap awhile back myself,so dont feel bad LOL! just about all the "good" truckstops along there are gone ,remember Jarrells before the all-american? Speed &Briscoe?( T/A now) i always liked the petro at the 104,but i dont do "flyin'hooks" no matter what,dont like em" never did!......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Jeez,the all-americans been closed for a while,i was told it had to do with health code violations,structural problems etc. with no money to repair. I fell into the 104 cluster#$%k/trap awhile back myself,so dont feel bad LOL! just about all the "good" truckstops along there are gone ,remember Jarrells before the all-american? Speed &Briscoe?( T/A now) i always liked the petro at the 104,but i dont do "flyin'hooks" no matter what,dont like em" never did!......................Mark

I've been up and down thru there a few times just never stopped till then. Had to scale out and the J had the flatest scale. Also since they changed the entrance around getting off the exit wasn't sure how to get into the old Petro and didn't want to go exploring with no way to back up. I liked the 98 was always a big lot with alot of room to get an oversize in. Jarrels is before my time driving

I haven't been over that way in a while, but if I had to go northeast i'd usually stop at the 98 because there was always plenty of parking space. I'd usually walk over to Burger King and get something to eat, then take a nap until the D.C traffic cleared some, then get up and go in the store for a Red Bull before I hit the road.

Remember Big John Trimble? He used to broadcast the first trucking show on radio on WRVA 1140 from Jarrell's truckstop, before Bozo or any of the others. He was the first I remember anyway.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

"Good" truckstops are nearly impossible to find anymore. I used to like to stop at Pharoah's on 81 in Pa.- i'd go out of my way to stop there, good home cooked food, no instant anything, no frozen anything, a 16 oz. t-bone was around $7.00 (ok,so it's been a while), and the waitresses all wore very short skirts...very short. Then it was sold, then it sucked, now it's closed.

All truckstops cater to now is tourists and 4 wheelers. They want trucks to come in and buy $800 worth of diesel fuel, spend some money, then get the hell out. I was waiting at the Pilot for the fuel desk girl to turn the pump on, but she had to wait on all the tourists lined up to buy Dr. Peppers and Doritos first, so I left- and the low fuel light was on when I got there.

The old 76 Truckstops used to have a section in the restaurant reserved for truck drivers, and the sign said they would be served first, 'cause they gotta go. Don't see anything like that anymore either. It's all fast food and tourists.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

"Good" truckstops are nearly impossible to find anymore. I used to like to stop at Pharoah's on 81 in Pa.- i'd go out of my way to stop there, good home cooked food, no instant anything, no frozen anything, a 16 oz. t-bone was around $7.00 (ok,so it's been a while), and the waitresses all wore very short skirts...very short. Then it was sold, then it sucked, now it's closed.

All truckstops cater to now is tourists and 4 wheelers. They want trucks to come in and buy $800 worth of diesel fuel, spend some money, then get the hell out. I was waiting at the Pilot for the fuel desk girl to turn the pump on, but she had to wait on all the tourists lined up to buy Dr. Peppers and Doritos first, so I left- and the low fuel light was on when I got there.

The old 76 Truckstops used to have a section in the restaurant reserved for truck drivers, and the sign said they would be served first, 'cause they gotta go. Don't see anything like that anymore either. It's all fast food and tourists.

Yep,remember all that! pharos was commonly know as "mini skirt junction" for just that reason,used to be a good place to stop,never had a problem finding a spot to park,good food too. but youre right,"good" truckstops are few and far between these days,maybe a handfull left in the whole country! remember big John Trimble too, WRVA? i think it was,he always played good music,seemed to have a genuine concern for the people that listened to his show.....geez,thats been awhile back! i think one of his sponsors was truck enterprizes in richmond? he used to do a "ask the mechanic" thing too,it was richmond Mack that answered the questions if i remember correctly. I sure remember the "drivers only" signs too,never get away with that now,discrimination you know!...............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I was on my way to Denver late one night across Kansas, and Colorado, on I 70. The wind was out of the north, and it was so cold that the cross over line had frozen. I pulled into Rip Griffin's at Limon, with about 4 inches of fuel in the drivers side, and 3/4ths in the passenger side. After about freezing my behind off while fueling, I parked and went into the restaurant for coffee. At that time they had a drivers section, which was open, the rest of the restaurant was blocked off and deemed closed. The drivers section was filled with an entire bus load of skiers, on their way to Vail. With at least 40 empty tables they refused to sit me at one, and informed me that I would have to wait until the bus crowd left. If I hadn't already paid for the fuel, I would have made them pump it out. That has been 25 years ago, And I still wouldn't spend a nickel at a Ripoff Griffins.