E Tech 460

blake w

my e tech 460 oil pressure drops to 5psi when coolant temp is 200 oil temp 225 at idle i have owned the truck 2 years i have put a cam kit in it,cam bearings looked ok,replaced oil pump this didnt change psi about to the conclusion its the rods and mains,any suggestions?

This is the basic troubleshooting information from the manual for your engine as relates to low oil pressure. The possible cause is listed first, the correction is listed second. I would pay particular attention to the fuel system as the EUP's and fuel transfer pump can leak fuel straight into the engine oil. If you have the pan off of it again it probably wouldn't hurt to remove a few bearing sets for inspection. Even if they look good, new bearing sets are not especially high priced.

LOW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE

1. Oil level insufficient. Oil leaking from oil line, gasket, etc.

1. Check engine oil level. Add oil if necessary. Check for oil leaks. Repair as required.

2. Incorrect oil viscosity.

2. Drain oil, change oil filters, and fill with the proper grade oil meeting MACK specifications.

3. Defective oil pressure gauge.

3. Check the operation of the oil pressure gauge. If defective, replace.

4. Clogged oil filter(s).

4. Replace oil filters. Clean or replace oil cooler. Drain oil and refill with oil meeting MACK specifications.

5. Engine oil diluted with diesel fuel.

5. Check fuel system for leaks. Make necessary repairs. Drain diluted oil, change oil filters, and refill with oil meeting MACK specifications.

6. Defective oil pump.

6. Remove oil pressure relief valve and check condition of seat. Check that relief valve spring is not sticking, and check for proper spring tension. Check internal thrust washer. Check cap. Check assembly parts. Using the incorrect parts will result in incorrect oil pressure. Make any necessary repairs or install a new relief valve.

7. Oil pump gears not meshing properly.

7. Check mounting arrangement. If the engine has been rebuilt, check that the gear ratio of the oil pump drive and driven gears are correct. Incorrect gear combinations will result in immediate gear failure and possible engine damage.

8. Incorrect oil filter mounting pad gasket.

8. Check for correct oil pad gasket.

9. Excessive clearance between crankshaft and bearings.

9. Overhaul the engine. Replace any worn/defective parts.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Definitely follow through on the troubleshooting, simplest things first. Depending on the miles, I would look at rod & main bearings if it is a hot only condition. I rolled new bearings into my 427 E-TECH at around 650,000 when oil pressure dropped to 10 psi hot idle. Mine has 1,115,000 on it now not yet been overhauled. 25 psi at idle.

Definitely follow through on the troubleshooting, simplest things first. Depending on the miles, I would look at rod & main bearings if it is a hot only condition. I rolled new bearings into my 427 E-TECH at around 650,000 when oil pressure dropped to 10 psi hot idle. Mine has 1,115,000 on it now not yet been overhauled. 25 psi at idle.

thanks for the info guys,Ive checked for fuel in oil,replaced eup orings just in case,double checked psi gauge,changed oil and filters added lucas to oil still have low psi.