Ch612 Thoughts - Truck Buying Bug Biting Hard

Well everyone the bug has bit me sooner than I expected and am starting to look at trucks again. Mama isn't going to be happy! Anyway, I have my sights set on a CH612 with 10 spd OD and air ride rear but not sure if I should look for an early 90's model or a 2000-02 (pre-EGR) model. I know I should be looking for a truck older than 1985 so I can license it as a historical vehicle. But I have found some good prices on early 2000 CHs (Ryder trucks). The early ones have the "older" dash and gray interior with E7 inline pump. The later model has the "new" styled tan dash with E7 E-tech unit pumps. Also, I hear there was a camshaft issue in the late 1990s and early 2000 era E-techs occurring at 400K-500K. I would appreciate your thoughts on the good and bad of these trucks. The fleet where I bought my 1992 MH still has a few but not sure if I want another MH (parts availability sucks as does the spring rear suspension). Thanks for your input and go easy on me. :rolleyes:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Well everyone the bug has bit me sooner than I expected and am starting to look at trucks again. Mama isn't going to be happy! Anyway, I have my sights set on a CH612 with 10 spd OD and air ride rear but not sure if I should look for an early 90's model or a 2000-02 (pre-EGR) model. I know I should be looking for a truck older than 1985 so I can license it as a historical vehicle. But I have found some good prices on early 2000 CHs (Ryder trucks). The early ones have the "older" dash and gray interior with E7 inline pump. The later model has the "new" styled tan dash with E7 E-tech unit pumps. Also, I hear there was a camshaft issue in the late 1990s and early 2000 era E-techs occurring at 400K-500K. I would appreciate your thoughts on the good and bad of these trucks. The fleet where I bought my 1992 MH still has a few but not sure if I want another MH (parts availability sucks as does the spring rear suspension). Thanks for your input and go easy on me. :rolleyes:

Make sure the transmission is a straight 10 speed and not a Super 10 (unless that's what you want).

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I suppose the year is a personal choice, features,looks etc. but indeed the later E-7's were plagued with cam failures, mine was done under warranty so it was not really a problem for me...but, INSIST on a one piece steel coolant tank, cant stress this enough! i went through 8 plastic tanks before the steel one became available! other than a few minor problems, mine has been a pleasure to run/drive..........Mark

post-5836-089711400 1280969731_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Make sure the transmission is a straight 10 speed and not a Super 10 (unkess that's what you want).

Not looking for a Super 10. Most of the trucks have Eaton FRO-11210C transmission with Eaton Dana rear axle. I have not seen any with a Mack T2100 transmission or Mack rear axle.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Not looking for a Super 10. Most of the trucks have Eaton FRO-11210C transmission with Eaton Dana rear axle. I have not seen any with a Mack T2100 transmission or Mack rear axle.

I haven't had much to do with the Eaton Lightning transmissions, but the ones I have seen, in used fleet trucks, seem to hold up pretty well. At some point I think the FRO 15210C was the standard transmission on the CH chassis. Any problems related to the cam should have been taken care of long ago under warranty, but if you can get a dealership to check the warranty history on it it would be a good idea to do so.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"