E 7 Into Early R Model

ozrad7

G'day to all, my 84 R688RST could use an overhaul on the engine and transmission, It is still working everyday doing tipper and truck and dog work but the engine is breathing heavy and leaving a few drops of oil from the breather and the transmission makes a very loud whining noise on a hard pull up hill, so loud that you cant here the turbo or engine over it and is getting hard to shift into the 5th gear position without grinding a tiny bit unless you double clutch it in which it goes in no drama,every other gear goes in fine without clutching. It is currently an E6 350 econodyne with a t2070 12 speed and it still runs and pulls really well but i am worried one day something may go bang.

So i am thinking about buying a complete ch/chr from the 90's with a 400+ E7 and 18 speed from the damaged/salvage auctions and fitting it all up in the r model , i figure i will save a fair bit of money going this way and improving the perfomance of the truck going this way rather than rebuilding the current setup, i may even get a little bit back by selling off what i dont use as well as the current engine and trans still running.

The only thing i am concerned about is will it fit without too much mucking around and how complicated is the computer setup on a ch/chr as in will it require every single sensor and instrument from the donor to work. If anyone out there has done this before or has knowledge or worked on these models before I welcome your opinions and advice,thanks.

G'day to all, my 84 R688RST could use an overhaul on the engine and transmission, It is still working everyday doing tipper and truck and dog work but the engine is breathing heavy and leaving a few drops of oil from the breather and the transmission makes a very loud whining noise on a hard pull up hill, so loud that you cant here the turbo or engine over it and is getting hard to shift into the 5th gear position without grinding a tiny bit unless you double clutch it in which it goes in no drama,every other gear goes in fine without clutching. It is currently an E6 350 econodyne with a t2070 12 speed and it still runs and pulls really well but i am worried one day something may go bang.

So i am thinking about buying a complete ch/chr from the 90's with a 400+ E7 and 18 speed from the damaged/salvage auctions and fitting it all up in the r model , i figure i will save a fair bit of money going this way and improving the perfomance of the truck going this way rather than rebuilding the current setup, i may even get a little bit back by selling off what i dont use as well as the current engine and trans still running.

The only thing i am concerned about is will it fit without too much mucking around and how complicated is the computer setup on a ch/chr as in will it require every single sensor and instrument from the donor to work. If anyone out there has done this before or has knowledge or worked on these models before I welcome your opinions and advice,thanks.

I just installed and E7 400 Mechanical into an 84 rd fit like a glove!The mechanical engine were produced till 94 or so thou 350 300 hp were there limitations!

I would seach out one of these before going electronic! Much easier install!

I just installed and E7 400 Mechanical into an 84 rd fit like a glove!The mechanical engine were produced till 94 or so thou 350 300 hp were there limitations!

I would seach out one of these before going electronic! Much easier install!

I thought about going a mechanical E7 but have been told they are pretty rare to come by in oz,. Did you use your original mounts or do you use E7 mounts on a E7.

I thought about going a mechanical E7 but have been told they are pretty rare to come by in oz,. Did you use your original mounts or do you use E7 mounts on a E7.

Yes if the engine your replacing has a e6 4 valve engine with the aluminum front cover it's a bolt in fit.