Enf707A Question...

jdcmix

It's my understanding that the F707A takes 2 different spark plugs (one type for each side). When I got the truck it had Champion D23 plugs running both sides. Is this acceptable? What are the proper plugs to use on each side?

Also, there seems to be a great debate about oil and old engines. Not knowing the history of my engine, i.e. rebuild, or type of oil used previously, etc. , should I use non-detergent oil just to be safe? If a detergent oil HAS been used, will using a non-det oil subsequently cause any harm? ? Where do I find a high quality 15W40 non-det oil?

Last question......... the air cleaner is mounted drivers side back by fire wall. It's cannister with an intake port about 3 1/2" diam. Should this port be wide open like this, or is there supposed to be a screen, or tube connected to it?

JDCMIX

I don't see anything in the tune up specs identifying 2 types of plugs for the 707A. I would run the same plugs that are specified. If you need the plug spec let me know.

We have had many discussions on this site regarding the oil to use. I called Shell and they recommended the Rotella T single weight oil, so I use Shell Rotella 40W. They recommended against using multi weight as the engine was not designed for that type of oil. They also recommended a detergent oil.

Your air cleaner should have a tube connecting the carb to the air cleaner, you should also look into modifying the old air cleaner, unless it is an oil bath type, to use a new type air clenaer, I switched mine to a K&N and works well.

Firemack

JDCMIX

I don't see anything in the tune up specs identifying 2 types of plugs for the 707A. I would run the same plugs that are specified. If you need the plug spec let me know.

We have had many discussions on this site regarding the oil to use. I called Shell and they recommended the Rotella T single weight oil, so I use Shell Rotella 40W. They recommended against using multi weight as the engine was not designed for that type of oil. They also recommended a detergent oil.

Your air cleaner should have a tube connecting the carb to the air cleaner, you should also look into modifying the old air cleaner, unless it is an oil bath type, to use a new type air clenaer, I switched mine to a K&N and works well.

Firemack

If you have the specs for plug type, can you let me know? I was just assuming the D23's that were in the engine were correct, but we all know what happens when we assume...

Am I asking for trouble by introducing a detergent oil to an engine that may well have had only non-detergent oil through it's lifetime?

The air cleaner IS an oil bath type, and there IS a tube running from the top of the cannister to the carb. The air inlet port at the bottom of the filter / cannister is wide open, and I didn't know if there should be some kind of pre-filter material or other type of attachment over the port to keep large particles or even water from entering the cannister. When I disassembled the housing, there was some debris and some water in the oil. Is that to be expected?

Thanks for your help !!!