Diffrences In R Model Power Steering

few questions

I want to add a power steering unit to my RS700

I have found a used R model steering unit but it was bolted to the inside of the frame rail as R models have the frame rails wider apart at the front of the truck.

My RS700 has the frame rails that are the same distance apart front to back. looking at it it seams as if I would need to mount the steering box on the outside of the frame rail. was there a special steering unit for RS models or a diffreent mounting methoud?

any help is greatfull

Trent

Trent, my 87 RS688 has the box on the outside of the rail with the shaft facing straight towards the steering wheel. In other words there is almost no angle at the u-joint at the steering box like on some of the regular R models that have a lot of angle at the joint. The number I got off my box is HF642989 hope this helps, Kevin

thanks kevin

we have a 6 wheeler valueliner at work and its got the box on the outside as well, however it has a larger box for the heavy flotation tires and it points the shaft at the 11 oclock position towards the radiator, then it has a goffy 5" shaft at a 45 deg angle towards the cab roof then another shaft parrell to the frame to the steering colum... looks way to complex for my liking. I will get a pic of this box tonight and maybee you will be able to tell if they are simmilar

Thanks

Trent

I've seen the one you're talking about and I wouldn't want to use it either. It was on an early 80's concrete truck that a local company wrecked.The truck was a valueliner and had floats also. The shaft on mine is I guess in about the 2:00 o'clock position. :SMOKIE-LFT: