Mack Cf-600 Firetruck Fluid Change Questions

Kentonius

Hey there everyone I have just joined and have some questions about the 1970 Mack CF-600 Pumper that I am in charge of for the Fraternity I am in. I have done some searching through the forums and could not find something specific enough for what I was looking for. I hope that I am not repeating something already posted and if I have I apologize. Anyway I am wanting to change the engine and transmission oil on this truck. So here's what I got for you guys.

The truck is equipped with the ENDT675 Mack Engine and it's mated with the TR-722 five-speed transmission. (at least I am fairly sure that's what it has for the transmission)

1. I am looking at using Shell Rotella T 10w-30 for the engine. Is this a good choice or is there a special oil needed?

2. Do you guys know where I can get an oil filter for the oil change and what type I should make sure I get?

3. What gear oil does the tranny take.

4. Are there any special tricks/procedure tips I need to know for the changing of these fluids?

Thank you guys for your time.

Kentonius,

I have a '68 CF600 pumper that I just serviced while I was on vacation, it has the ENDTF-673C motor with a spicer transmission, there shouldn't be that much difference except maybe in the quantities. What you put in it will depend on where and how it is operated, (cold vs. warmer climates, used every day vs. once a month, etc.). Do you have any of the operating manuals for the truck? They will list recommended fluids, quantities, grades of fluids, oils and greases for your application as well as recommended service intervals. If you do not have them, or any of the service maintenance records I would suggest that you call the Mack Museum. I called and they sent me everything they had on my truck for FREE, about 2.5" worth of documents on all aspects of the truck, a little on the pump, even some sales literature along with purchase records from 1968,wiring diagram, the list goes on. You will need the trucks model and serial numbers which should be stamped on an ID plate on the pump panel as well as the cab door.

The Mack Trucks Historical Museum

Don Schumaker, Curator

997 Postal Road

Allentown, PA 18103

Telephone: 610-266-6767

Fax: 610-266-6823

For the oil filter you should be able to take it to your local truck parts store or NAPA and they should be able to get you a filter. You need to know what type of filtration system you have, the operating manual should say, to determine the procedure for draining the egnine oil. In mine I am using Rotella T SAE 15W/40 in the motor and Castrol HD SAE 40 in the trans. Rear differential: Castrol Hypoy C SAE 85W/140. These grades are sufficient for my vehicle in Texas, I usaully drive it a few times a month and pump it on occasion. If you go to your local truck service center and tell them what you have they should be able to tell you what you will need to run in your truck. Or you could ask the fire department you got the truck from. However, I strongly reommend you call the Mack Museum and request the literature on you truck. If I am ever in doubt I always go back to: "Follow the manufacturer's recomendations." I also use an additive to my oil and fuel: Marvel Mystery Oil. Good Stuff.

As far as tips and tricks on changing the fluids: The manuals will describe these procedures in better detail. It might get a little messy if you are doing it yourself for the first time. Coverall's, Shop Towels and safety glasses are good investments, as well as a creeper if you don't have a lift. A good cleaning of the engine compartment and undercarriage at the carwash is a good idea. Before you drain anything make sure the drain and fill plugs and the area around them in general is CLEAN and free of grime and dirt. You don't want any dirt or grit getting mixed in with your new clean oil. You should also clean and inspect any breather ports/caps that may be on the transmission and rear differential. Take them off and clean them out, if they are damaged just get some new ones. They may look like little mushrooms with a bottlecap like top that is crimped onto a short tube. Once you've cleaned, run your truck up to operating temp. to warm up the fluids so they drain better and so some of the sludge and deposits that settle while the truck is sitting cold will get dislodged and come out with the oil when you drain it. If any of the fluids are really sludgy, discollored or stinky then you might look at getting the motor flushed, trans and or differential before you add the new fluids. Once you've changed the fluids you should let the truck run for a while and inspect for any leaks. Remember you'll have to have some type of container to recieve the old oil. I have used 5 gallon foam buckets that the fire dept. got rid of for all my oil. Wal-Mart service centers will take used oil, only 5 gallons per day though are permitted. Hope this helps you out.

Can you post some picture of your truck, engine compartment for us to see? They might help with further advice.

Matt B.

1968 Mack CF611F(7)/1064

Hey there everyone I have just joined and have some questions about the 1970 Mack CF-600 Pumper that I am in charge of for the Fraternity I am in. I have done some searching through the forums and could not find something specific enough for what I was looking for. I hope that I am not repeating something already posted and if I have I apologize. Anyway I am wanting to change the engine and transmission oil on this truck. So here's what I got for you guys.

The truck is equipped with the ENDT675 Mack Engine and it's mated with the TR-722 five-speed transmission. (at least I am fairly sure that's what it has for the transmission)

1. I am looking at using Shell Rotella T 10w-30 for the engine. Is this a good choice or is there a special oil needed?

2. Do you guys know where I can get an oil filter for the oil change and what type I should make sure I get?

3. What gear oil does the tranny take.

4. Are there any special tricks/procedure tips I need to know for the changing of these fluids?

Thank you guys for your time.

Kentonis,

There was a 1948 Mack Firetruck across the street from my college and always wanted to get it for my fraternity, but the guy never wanted to sell it, so it sat there for years and never got used, so it is great to hear that you have the project of getting the CF back in shape and will be using it. Great rush tool, put signs on it and invite the freshman to the rush parties!

Matt gave you very good advice, either get the manuals from the original fire company or request them from the Mack Museum. Also don't forget to change the pump oil, as the drive train and transfer case is built into the pump. You should also change the fuel filters, if they have not been changed recently (make sure you fill them with fuel to not lose the prime), and will need to drain the air tanks and make sure there is not water in the tanks, so drain them regularly, you can change the drain to a quick drain with a pull cable for about $6, and then put the drain pull in a compartment where it is easy to reach and drain them often.

Please post pictures and let us know if you have any other questions, there is lots of Mack knowledge on the site that can help you out,

Firemack

• 1 month later...

Hey Matt and Firemack Sorry for the delayed response but THANK YOU very much for the responses and the information> Good news!! We got together with the Terre Haute Fire Department and spent an entire Saturday with their mechanic doing all of this stuff and more! The mechanic was so excited to be able to work on it and we went to town...changed fluid in the rear diff, transfer case (there was a lot of water in that oil), transmission, and also flushed the radiator. He then told us that he would check on his resources to find us an oil filter. He also helped us get the pump working, AWESOME man that thing can move water!! That was on the weekend of May 15. The mechanic got back to us and said he got us a filter! So this past week another guy who helps with the truck got with him and they changed the oil. :) Great Stuff I tell you. Anyways thanks again for you comments you probably not see much of me until the fall when I go back to school and start working on the truck again. I am going to put some pics of the truck up so you guys can see it.

Kentonius.

Edited by Kentonius