E7 400 Motor Problem

Mike35r18

I have a 2001 Mack E7 400 RD688S 2500 gallon tanker with an engine problem. The truck only has approximately 15,000 miles, and 1100 hours. Oil changes done every 150 hrs, except for the last one, done at 100 hrs. It is a fire service truck, so it gets run hard from the get-go, but that is the only slightly bad thing for it, although the rest of truck with significantly more time on them never give us a problem. Found metal that looks like a possible retainer clip for something, however according to the repair shop all Jake Brake retainers are intact, although I know that Jake Brake hardware is an update item. The metal was mostly in large pieces stuck to the drain plug, but there is also fine sand sized pieces in the oil pan as well. Oil sample came back with no abnormal wear detected oddly enough, but had a critically high amount of coolant additive present. Which bring me to the next issue...

3 cylinder sleeves were found to be leaking coolant, although no peanut-butter looking oil/coolant mix anywhere. I did have to add a small amount of coolant a couple times over the past year. Did a leakdown test on the cooling system, lost pressure overnight, but they had a difficult time locating where from, it seemed to be small leaks.

We do oil samples at every oil change and this is the first abnormal one we've ever had. The shop states the camshaft looks fine. I suggested maybe they are turbo parts which I knew was another update item. The shop has the motor half torn down and have not located the source of the mystery metal. Myself and co-worker (prev. mechanic) thought we heard a rattle in the motor on the passenger side at idle, that would go away and come back. I'm at a loss, looking for ideas/suggestions to try to get this thing fixed and back in service as soon as possible. Thank you for reading this and look forward to your suggestions.

I have a 2001 Mack E7 400 RD688S 2500 gallon tanker with an engine problem. The truck only has approximately 15,000 miles, and 1100 hours. Oil changes done every 150 hrs, except for the last one, done at 100 hrs. It is a fire service truck, so it gets run hard from the get-go, but that is the only slightly bad thing for it, although the rest of truck with significantly more time on them never give us a problem. Found metal that looks like a possible retainer clip for something, however according to the repair shop all Jake Brake retainers are intact, although I know that Jake Brake hardware is an update item. The metal was mostly in large pieces stuck to the drain plug, but there is also fine sand sized pieces in the oil pan as well. Oil sample came back with no abnormal wear detected oddly enough, but had a critically high amount of coolant additive present. Which bring me to the next issue...

3 cylinder sleeves were found to be leaking coolant, although no peanut-butter looking oil/coolant mix anywhere. I did have to add a small amount of coolant a couple times over the past year. Did a leakdown test on the cooling system, lost pressure overnight, but they had a difficult time locating where from, it seemed to be small leaks.

We do oil samples at every oil change and this is the first abnormal one we've ever had. The shop states the camshaft looks fine. I suggested maybe they are turbo parts which I knew was another update item. The shop has the motor half torn down and have not located the source of the mystery metal. Myself and co-worker (prev. mechanic) thought we heard a rattle in the motor on the passenger side at idle, that would go away and come back. I'm at a loss, looking for ideas/suggestions to try to get this thing fixed and back in service as soon as possible. Thank you for reading this and look forward to your suggestions.

Welcome to the site.

Can you provide pictures of the pieces!Has it ever had a turbo failure ?If so you would likly have found a washer or peices of one in the pan!Duno with out seeing them its a hard call!They will likly be pulling liners to re seal them , so they can look at snap rings on the pistons. The torbo is a definate place to start looking.

Welcome to the site.

Can you provide pictures of the pieces!Has it ever had a turbo failure ?If so you would likly have found a washer or peices of one in the pan!Duno with out seeing them its a hard call!They will likly be pulling liners to re seal them , so they can look at snap rings on the pistons. The torbo is a definate place to start looking.

Thank you for the welcome, this problem is what prompted me to join, but this site seems like a great resource so far.

Anyway, the metal pieces are at the shop right now, but I can certainly take pics as soon as I can get the pieces back. I need to ask the shop if that is the updated turbo, or if it is the original that Mack recommends you replace. I would say that the pices look like they could possibly be part of a washer, but if its of any value the turbo has not made any frightening noises, doesnt smoke and builds boost without issue, the power seems to be there. I wish this was simply a turbo issue, but with that seperate coolant leak, the motor is comming apart anyways, and the shop is contributing our problems to us getting a "bad motor". So we'll be in contact with Mack here shortly. Thank you for your input and I'll try to get some pics on here soon.

Thank you for the welcome, this problem is what prompted me to join, but this site seems like a great resource so far.

Anyway, the metal pieces are at the shop right now, but I can certainly take pics as soon as I can get the pieces back. I need to ask the shop if that is the updated turbo, or if it is the original that Mack recommends you replace. I would say that the pices look like they could possibly be part of a washer, but if its of any value the turbo has not made any frightening noises, doesnt smoke and builds boost without issue, the power seems to be there. I wish this was simply a turbo issue, but with that seperate coolant leak, the motor is comming apart anyways, and the shop is contributing our problems to us getting a "bad motor". So we'll be in contact with Mack here shortly. Thank you for your input and I'll try to get some pics on here soon.

Your welcome !Post your findings and fix