B-61 Pumper Questions

bandofan

Hi,

I'm new to the Mack forum and would like to ask a couple questions from some fire truck experts. I'm building a model of a Mack B-61 pumper and am trying to get it as perfect as possible. My questions are:

What would the rear bed of the pumper be made of? The model that I'm building has lines running from front to back, so it appears that this may have been wood on the original. If so, would this have been varnished, natural color wood? If it wasn't wood, what color would it have been painted (or chromed)?

What would the interior cab color be painted?

What color were the hose reels and the sturctural brackets that supported them?

Thanks for any information that anybody can provide. When I'm done with the model, I'll post a picture on the forum.

Thanks again!

Mark

Hi,

I'm new to the Mack forum and would like to ask a couple questions from some fire truck experts. I'm building a model of a Mack B-61 pumper and am trying to get it as perfect as possible. My questions are:

What would the rear bed of the pumper be made of? The model that I'm building has lines running from front to back, so it appears that this may have been wood on the original. If so, would this have been varnished, natural color wood? If it wasn't wood, what color would it have been painted (or chromed)?

What would the interior cab color be painted?

What color were the hose reels and the sturctural brackets that supported them?

Thanks for any information that anybody can provide. When I'm done with the model, I'll post a picture on the forum.

Thanks again!

Mark

Mark,

All of the beds in the Mack pumpers that I have seen have been made of wood. I am not sure if they were varnished but I know they were not painted, my guess is they would have been done in linseed oil.

If the pumper was made as a fire truck from the assembly line they inside was red, if it was made into a fire truck later most likely it was Mack green.

Hose reels were red and supports were also red, hose guides or rollers were for the most part chrome.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

Mark,

Daivd is correct, The wood was Ash and was natural or coated in marine varnish, The interior color was red with red seats if an open or semi open cab, and left green with tan seats if a closed cab.

The Mack Pumper designation was not B61- they used a combination for engine and pump size:

B75 had a 464 or 510 with 750GPM pump

B85 had a 707 with 750 GPM pump

B95 had a 707 with a 1000 GPM pump

B125 had a 707 or Hall Scott engine with a 1250 GPM pump

There were a few other combinations which had special designations but these should cover most of the B model pumpers.

Good luck with the model and post pictures when you have it completed.

• 6 months later...

Hi Beachbud,

Very Nice B85 pumper, was it just painted? Where are you located, that would make a nice parade truck or muster truck, it has a lot of options that are unique for 1958, the rear fenders and compartments are different than most of the others from that timeframe, and the hose reels are mounted very high.

Thanks for posting the pictures, it is great to see another good looking B model firetruck!

Firemack