B-75 Power Steering

fordguyhey

Hey everybody, I'm putting together a B-75 that currently has manual steering. I would like to put power steering in it in the most painless way possible. I have considered finding a shepherd box out of another B model, but then what do I do with the steering column? It may be possible to modify the lower part of the column to hold a bearing, and then the universal joint, and basically copy what a B-61 power steering column looks like. I've never seen a power steering column on a B-75, so i'm guessing either they didn't make them or they are just very hard to find. Also the potential problem I might have with the shepherd box is that I have taken out the original 711 engine and am swapping in a 285. I don't know if there will be enough clearance for the oil filters... In the interest of time, I was thinking maybe it would be much easier and simpler to put a hydraulic power assist set up on the truck, which I should be able to get my hands on fairly easily. Any input I can get would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I am currently wrestling with the exact same issue - trying to decide what is the best way to get power steering in my B-73. I have found a few suggestions:

There are a number of newer power steering boxes that supposedly retrofit fairly easily using the original steering column with modifications to the end for attachment to the steering unit.

Air assist is available. No modifications to the column necessary. (Hydraulic assist may be available, I just haven't found it, but I am going to go looking)

Radial steer axle tires and a good front axle rebuild and/or service will take a lot of the effort out of your manual steering, such that it may be acceptable, too. Especially with some weight on the rear axle to lighten the front end a little bit.

Good Luck.

Paul Van Scott

I am currently wrestling with the exact same issue - trying to decide what is the best way to get power steering in my B-73. I have found a few suggestions:

There are a number of newer power steering boxes that supposedly retrofit fairly easily using the original steering column with modifications to the end for attachment to the steering unit.

Air assist is available. No modifications to the column necessary. (Hydraulic assist may be available, I just haven't found it, but I am going to go looking)

Radial steer axle tires and a good front axle rebuild and/or service will take a lot of the effort out of your manual steering, such that it may be acceptable, too. Especially with some weight on the rear axle to lighten the front end a little bit.

Good Luck.

Paul Van Scott

Having driven a truck with air assist, I don't even consider that a real option. It seems like you crank the wheel around a couple times and the buzzer is on. I bought a B-61 the other day that has hydraulic assist with the cylinder on the tie rod, and I was actually impressed at how that steered. I think that may be my easiest way out.

There is absolutely no question that the original hydraulic assist systems are the best systems to install

in your restoration - If you are lucky enough to have the parts. And - it sounds like you are!

The old, original hydraulic assist systems are pretty scarce.

I think that Matt Pfahl has some parts for the original hydraulic steering assist, if you need.

There may be a current production hydraulic steering assist system available for a heavy duty truck, but I haven't found one, and would love to hear about it, if someone has found a system manufacturer.

I respectfully disagree with you about your air assist generalization. A properly operating air steering assist system, while not as nice as hydraulic boost, is certainly a viable and economical alternative.

The Air-o-Matic system is in current production and parts are cheap and easy to get, all of which are big benefits for the average hobbyist's restoration project. And - the system has been in continuous use for many years. So they can't be all bad.

For my own truck -

I had a talk with B-61Fred last night, and we discussed using the manual steering.

With a well set up front axle and good radial rubber it's probably not a bad choice either.

And - we need the exercise!

Good luck with yourproject.

Paul Van Scott