Kingpin Issue

Mild Thunder

Hello, Im new here. I have a 1998 CH, and my drivers side steer tire is wearing badly on the inside. Outside is fine, along with passenger side tire showing no abnormal wear. A buddy told me its probably just a "kingpin" bearing, and its a easy fix. Something about dropping the lower nut, and just putting a new bearing in and retorquing? Can it be that easy of a fix?? Steering does seem to pull a little to the right. Truck is used off road quite a bit and potholes are ridculous around here. Thanks!!!

Use a long bar and shake the wheel up and down. If you have a ridiculous amount of play, it is possible the kingpin/bearing could be at fault. If not, it may just need tires and an alignment. First I would recommend trying to tighten the cap. Simply remove the cotter key and tighten clockwise to the next slot. If not, you'll have to remove the cap and inspect the bearing. If it is not crushed, then the bearing is not at fault, and you'll need a set of pins/bushings.

Torque wrench? Can I put an air hose on it??

Yeah sorry, totally assumed you had a Mack axle. He is correct, Rockwells (nor Spicers) do not use the bottom bearing. It is possible you have a worn bushing... Have you shaken the wheel to see how much endplay you have? Anything 1/8" or less, I would be looking for another cause of the wear.

Edited by tech_j

Torque wrench? Can I put an air hose on it??