Reviewing My Game Plan

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Hi all;

I'm doing a "Step back and see where I am" thing regarding getting my EH roadworthy. I'm making a list of tasks I need to do to make the truck safe and reliable,hopefully in the order that I intend to complete them,with consideration of prices,time needed,relative necessity to use the truck. I'm asking for your input on these points;if you know of an easier way to do something,something I plan to do that won't work as I think it will,or a safety tip I'm missing,or a better plan overall,please tell me.

1-I have a full set of 10.00R-20's already on Dayton wheels I plan to use on my truck. My concerns are the spacing between the duals,and the fender clearance under the front fenders.

2-I plan to pull the rear brake drums and kit the cylinders,and depending on the condition of the shoes either re-line 'em or just reassemble and adjust the brakes.

3-I'm seriously considering installing one of those "Wheelskin" covers for the steering wheel;anyone have any experience with those?

4-I know the Brownie needs driveline yoke seals,at least the output seal,and the pinion seal leaks too. When I buy seals,I'm planning to look for seals that are compatible with 50 wt. synthetic motor oil,since everything I've read tells me that 50 wt is the viscosity I should be using,and mineral oil,as near as I can tell,is only needed because of the make up of the seals. (I've also heard that 50 wt synthetic is a good choice for the main box,less wear,easier shifting,etc.) I'd really like to go synthetic on all the fluids,but that's a pretty big investment.

5-I'm thinking of building an air system,just for operating an air wrench or inflating tires,etc,utilizing an A/C compressor and a couple of air tanks totalling about 50 gallon capacity. Mounting it under-hood would require installing a drive pulley and making a bracket,mounting it under the truck would be a similar amount of fabrication,and would require a drive pulley on the driveline between the main box and the Brownie. The down side of this would be I'd have to leave the truck running with the mail box in 5th gear and the Brownie in neutral to keep air up with the truck stationary. another option is to find a Mack with my engine and air brakes,and get all the components to install on my truck. (This would be way more acceptable with DOT,if it ever even came up.)

6-Glass-I plan to replace the windshield,and hope to find a regulator that will work on the stock windshield. I noticed the one for about 1946 era GM trucks looks a lot like mine,maybe Mack bought these from another manufacturer who also made 'em for GM. I also want/need to replace both door glass and regulators;on this I'm looking at getting the glass cut,replacing the window channels,and using an "EZ Power Windows" set up,about $145.00.

7-Wipers-I can get a chromed single speed wiper motor/arm/blade for about $30.00,and while not that fancy.it'll do what I need it to do. If I get real bux-up,maybe I'll get another one for the passenger side.

8-Bodywork-Here,my intention is to straighten the left side door frame and door where they appear to have been tagged with a loader bucket and were kinked inward slightly. My left door still has the artwork of the previous owner's company,but the right side has already been stripped off. I'm going to try to find someone good enough with special effects to duplicate the art on the right door and "age" it. I'll probably have to replace the striker plates and possibly the latches,but it looks like B parts may fit. Also on this list is fitting a good set of West Coast mirrors,if I can find brackets that'll fit my doors' contours.

9-Heater-I can get a used heater (very basic design) for free from a friend's school bus.

10-I've decided to remove the boom from the frame of the truck and fit it to the trailer I'm building to tow behind the Mack. with just a little luck I might end up with a PTO and a huge winch behind the cab,and a big hand-winch operated battery box between the frame rails back just ahead of the rear frame plate.

I think that pretty well covers it.

I believe I could put this truck to work with the tires,brake work,windshield and wiper motor,and re-sealing the axle and Brownie,but some of the other stuff might be considered necessary too,depending on some surrounding circumstances. I'm sure there's a couple hundred details I wouldn't think of until they reached "Emergency" status on the shoulder of SR-228 a hundred miles from anywhere.....

Okay-help me get my priorities right.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

• 2 weeks later...

:SMOKIE-LFT:

No replies? Okay,I guess I'll press on regardless. B)

I HAVE finally accepted that if I DID get the EH roadworthy and put it to work,I'd have to be running it pretty much full days,every day,for 6 months per year just to cover the license and insurance for it,so it's gonna have to be just a hobby. I'll probably still use it when possible,but it won't be the primary wage earner. (Maybe later on,if something comes through and pays off in a huge way,I can re-think my plans.) Regardless of what I use my Mack for though,and regardle3ss where the financing comes from,the repairs I've listed will still have to get done.

I would like some input regarding my choice of lube for the boxes though;if there's a reason I'm not aware of not to use the 50wt synthetic oil in the boxes,let me know before I ruin something expensive. As I understand it,a 50 wt synthetic oil,by the nature of synthetics, will function more like a 75 or 80 wt. gear oil in terms of friction and gear wear reduction,still a little lightweight,but should do well in anything less than a fully loaded truck and trailer.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>