•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Clutch Fan

• Please log in to reply
    3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   summit mechanic

summit mechanic

Rookie

• Puppy Poster
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

hey i have a problem with a 98 ch600 the air clutch for the cooling fan wont disengage i can provide a gound to the air switch on the drivers side of the radiator and it will turn off but the truck wont do it on its own i suspected a temp switch but talked to a mack dealer and they told me it was controled by a computer based on the values of multiple sensors is this true or is there just one switch?

#2 OFFLINE   Mackpro68

Mackpro68

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,192 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

hey i have a problem with a 98 ch600 the air clutch for the cooling fan wont disengage i can provide a gound to the air switch on the drivers side of the radiator and it will turn off but the truck wont do it on its own i suspected a temp switch but talked to a mack dealer and they told me it was controled by a computer based on the values of multiple sensors is this true or is there just one switch?

The engine ECM tell it to come on, it actually grounds the circuit inside of the ECM to engage the fan. The ECM looks at coolant temp, AC high pressure and intake manifold temp to know when to engage.

#3 OFFLINE   summit mechanic

summit mechanic

Rookie

• Puppy Poster
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

so it could be one or more of those sensors not functioning properly or a malfunctioning ecm?

#4 OFFLINE   Mackpro68

Mackpro68

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,192 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

so it could be one or more of those sensors not functioning properly or a malfunctioning ecm?

Yes, Check the small fuse box (if this is an ETECH engine)under the hood on the firewall, look at fuse # 41 i think. This sends 12V to the fan circuit. I had a truck the other day having high AC pressure due to when defroster is turned on the AC compressor was engaged but the expansion valve was stuck closed causing high pressure. Even after the engine was shutoff for several hours it still had high head pressure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users