[New BMT Blog Entry] Paul's Tales - Catching Up

BMT Forum Bot

Moving along on my B-67 project. Ready for new wheels and tires, and then it will roll again -

for the first time in about three years!

Nobody ever said I was fast.

Anyway, I'm real happy with the way the frame and running gear are coming together.

And I'm very appreciative of my uncle, Jimmy's, work to keep the project moving forward.

The cab also is coming along really well. Although I'm not doing that part of the work at all.

The body man is doing a great job and is priming this weekend, after a month of more welding

and dent pounding. That was after I thought it was ready to paint!! It really looks nice.

I am disassembling the green R-600 for the donor engine. Being real careful with the dismantling

so as many parts as possible are salvaged for future use. This was the truck with the double frame

rails that had pretty bad rust jacking and rail separation. It still breaks my heart to take it apart.

The old girl did everything an old truck should do, and did it all very well. The rust got the cab and frame.

But, I will have a perfect R model hood, all interior parts for the early series, wheels, tires and axles,

radiator and perfect shutters, doors, latches and all operating window hardware, headliner, instruments,

dash panels, glove box door and anything else except the old frame available for anyone who might

need early R-600 parts.

Looking forward to taking delivery of two long wheelbase Macks for a near future project I've got in mind.

One is a B-73, the other is a B-75. I'm planning a B-73 with Cummins power for myself. The B-73 has the

original 220 Cummins in it, and we'll wait and see if that will work or if more power is needed. The B-75 has

the straight frame rails that will allow a fairly easy rear air ride conversion.

This project won't start until the B-67 is delivered, but I'm gathering ideas now.

The learning curve of the B-67 total restoration has been fantastic. Now I would like to kick it up a notch,

and use what I have learned to get through a project with fewer distractions and fewer "wrong turns".

Still thinking of a complete disassembly, total restoration and updating. But with a much better upfront plan

and a better understanding of what is needed as far as parts, pieces and costs are concerned.

Kevin All had a beauty of a B-73 or B-75 a few years back. Black with red frame I think. That's kind of

what I'm thinking of. Something that can pull any of our trailers, anytime and dependably.

New company slogan: "OLD, SLOW TRUCKS..... SLOWER, OLDER DRIVERS"

View the full blog entry