24 Volt Starter

Guest 45LMSWM

Guest 45LMSWM

I am looking for a 24V starter or anyone who can give me a part number for same for a 1958 Cummins NH220. SBM # 34429, Eng. # 207471, OT Ref 6-6-58. My truck, a 1945 Mack LMSWM, was originally equipped w/ a NHB-600 Cummins, with a Delco-Remy DR-1109334 24V starter. The NH220 starter is missing, so I have no idea what starter will work with this engine. Can anyone out there help??

Thanks in advance,

John Pearson

If it was an SAE starter it should not be a problem finding a replacement. If you live in an area that has an automotive electrical shop you could possibly borrow a drive end housing, and see if it will match your flywheel housing. The physical dimension of a 12, and a 24 are the same. A 24v SAE starter off a dozer would work as long as the drive gear is compatible with the flywheel. An SAE starter doesn't care what kind of an engine it is mounted on, or which side. Because of warranty issues, and also the fact that I don't enjoy changing starters that much. My preference in the past has been a Delco Remy Reman. I also prefer a 42MT over a 40MT. Beware of local fix it shops, as there is no magic involved in starter repair. However there is sometimes a certain amount of slight of hand.

Guest 45LMSWM

Thanks for the reply. I know the original NHB-600 had an SAE 03 nose housing and 11 pinion teeth. I have a D-R 42MT part number for that starter, but I did not know if that would be the same for the NH 220 that is currently in the truck. I guess I'll have to do like you said and get a nose housing and try it out.

John