Mack M-100 Request

Hello, I a new member and have really enjoyed reading this forum. I'm working on a modeling project. I'm commissioning a 1/50 scale model of a Mack M-100 dump. I have located only a small amount of information on this specific truck, but think that to be expected since only a total of 3 units were built. If someone at least has a copy of the Mack spec sheet that includes the trucks basic dimension it would be a big help. I could also use any photo's or reference material that someone may have salted away in their collection. Okay, well I'm counting on you Mack expert's to help me out.

Thanks,

John

John,

You may have already done this, but -

a call to the Mack Museum probably would yield

some pretty good information.

Look elsewhere on this site for the address and contact info.

By way of protocol - We do support the Museum with donations,

when we ask for information.

Good luck - sounds like an interesting project.

Paul Van Scott

A member here, 45LMSWM (John) is very knowledgeable of the heavy haul industry here in the North East. He told me where to Find one of the existing M100's, which turns out to be right near me, only 15 minutes drive. I checked it out but its in a yard with a few vicious dogs and the owner (Pile Foundation Construction) only rents the spot so the fellow there wouldn't let me in to get a closer look. From the fence I could see the front of the massive beast peaking out from behind some other equipment. It was originally owned by Mashburn (defunct) and is still hooked to its original Transport Engineering trailer and both are still painted in Mashburn colors. It just sits there as it is much too big to move from that yard by road, it would have to be moved by barge. It was last used over 5 years ago at JFK Airport to move around massive test weights.

Here are pictures of the Mashburn M100

John has a few pictures and I might have a few more at home.

I have a few of the technical specifications:

Engine: 1000 HP Detroit diesel 16V71 - Not 100% sure of the engine but this is what I last read. Another possibility would be the Cummins VTA series but I believe the M100 were all Detroit.

The transmission would have been a Clark power shift or possibly an Allison CLBT but my money is on the Clark.

I don't know the exact tire size but 18.00R33 or 21.00R33 would be a safe bet. 100 ton load plus truck tare weight would push the limits of an 18.00R33 but it depends on the speed.

The truck could carry 100 tons and pull upward of 1000 tons! The Transport Engineering trailer is rated to something like 600 tons. That one tractor would make short work of any haul.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!