Tulare California Truck/tractor Show 2009

I went to the antique farm show in Tulare this Saturday to check out some old trucks. Was a little disappointed to only see one Mack there though. I got the feeling after talking with some of the truck guys that Macks seem to be outcasts out here for the most part. Oh well, I still think that old H model when it's done would still be the best looking truck there. Hopefully next year I can roll that old heap up there and represent. I tried to upload the photos for the post but can't so you'll have to go into my gallery. Also I'm looking for an old school air horn for my truck. A good deep sounding one. Can only find train horns or electric for the most part on the internet. Let me know of a place to get a good sounding one if you know, thanks.

Tony,

Call or e-mail Kevin All at All Macks (K-All here on the BMT site) for an original air horn set up.

As a general rule -

Macks, Autocars and Brockways were really mostly East Coast trucks in the 30's, 40's and 50's, being made in Pennsylvania and New York.

The Peterbilts and Kenworths were the popular West Coast trucks, and both were made in western states.

The Midwest had Internationals and Diamond-T's.

Each of the manufacturers catered to their particular market needs, hence the short B-67 or single axle H-63 for the restrictive East Coast length laws,

or the "concave" back cab panels etc. for the same reason.

Meanwhile Peterbilt and Kenworth made trucks with long hoods to fit generally bigger power for mountain use. Clessie Cummins developed the first engine brakes for mountain use, and diesel power was used more out west for the long climbs. (Although they also used the massive Hall-Scott gas engines too)

Eventually of course, it all blended together as the highways improved and interstate traffic became commonplace.

There were many, many good truck manufacturers of note, but Mack, Brockway, Autocar, Peterbilt, and Kenworth seem to be the most geographically distinct brands that we most often hear of.

That's today's history lesson.

Get your truck done - and show it off out there!

Paul Van Scott