1970/88 Cf600 Mack Fire

224eng

I just purchased a 1970 cf600 mack pumper yesterday and was wondering about what type of battery set up it has their are 4 batteries so I am assuming 24 volt system would that be a pos or neg ground system? Also the truck was kept outside this winter and the batteries are dead any hints to get them up and running I was told they were only 2 years old.

224eng

Most CF Firetrucks have 2 battery systems, A and B. Both should be 2-12 Volts in parallel, positive ground. I don't know if the polarity was changed, if it was refurbed, but easy enought to check, track down the ground and see if it is connected to positive side of the battery. I have never seen a 24 volt CF for the fireservice.

Firemack

224 Eng

Positive ground does not make any difference unless you are trying to add accessories that run on negative ground or connect them wrong when changing the batteries or jumping the truck. Most Macks were positive ground until the late 70's. I don't know when they started to switch to negative ground, someone else on the forum may know, but most of the trucks (and cars) I had with postiive ground had no issues except those I already mentioned. Don't try to hook up any radios unless you use a converter for polarity.

When was the last time the truck was run?

Firemack

The truck was a first out piece at my dept until 2 years ago it went to storage and was used as a reserve until I purchased it. Their is a converter under the seat . I finally found how to trickle charge the batteries after a little smoke. I was confused about the batteries because they got rid of the a-b and wired them together. So far so good now comes the the registration and insurance and from the other posts antique plates might be hard to get for it. thanks for the info it was very useful