What You Think

marvgarr

i want to put a detroit 6v53 and a 10spd eaton trans in my 71 chevy 3/4 ton and use a light duty truck axle out back with the 10 bolt wheel pattern or the 10 bolt adapters for the 8 bolt axle and use 22.5 rims and tires would be a nice combo

now anyone no what trucks had a light duty axle with the 10 bolt wheel bolt pattern i rather go with that so i can use the same u joint instead of an adapter drive shaft

The closest I think you'll be able to come to a 10 lug "light duty" axle would be either a 3500HD GM truck, or an older (pre-97) F-Superduty Chassis. I'm not sure what the GMs came with for a rear, but the Fords had a Dana 80, 10 lug, with disc brakes and either a 4.63 or 5.13 gear ratio.

Of course, both of these trucks will have a smaller 10 lug pattern than a typical semi wheel, but the size would be about right to put under a 3/4 ton without too much effort.

Going to a larger truck (F650 or C60 size) might get you the right bolt pattern, but I feel the axle would be too large for your application.

Physically a 6V53, 71,or 92 are not exactly light weight, neither is an Eaton Fuller trans. Together they would probably be a pretty good load for a pickup. Someone recently posted some pictures of a 453 in a pickup and it seemed to pretty much fill the engine bay. I like BIG engines myself, so let's talk about why and what you want to accomplish.

Physically a 6V53, 71,or 92 are not exactly light weight, neither is an Eaton Fuller trans. Together they would probably be a pretty good load for a pickup. Someone recently posted some pictures of a 453 in a pickup and it seemed to pretty much fill the engine bay. I like BIG engines myself, so let's talk about why and what you want to accomplish.

yes the weight is a factor the motor alone is 1400 lbs and the trans would be around 600 or 700

but it would be cool its not going to pull or haul anything just be a work truck i no it will fit with some mods on youtube they put a 6v53 in a power wagon

This past Macungie someone had a 6v53 in a Ford. I have to find the picture as it fit perferctly in the engine bay. Not sure of the transmission though.

As for a trans would a lighter 5 speed and two speed axle be lighter? I have a feeling the 10 speed would be a pain because you now have to deal with air plumbing for the range selector. But if your adding air ride then it might not be a big problem. You could also try using the axle from a 5500 GMC with hyd disc brakes, they have smaller eight bolt hubs but you can get aluminum 22.5 rims for them.

Our GMC 6000 has a single speed dana axle with ten lugs but only 22.5x6.75 rims can be used because of the smaller GMC bolt pattern. 9R22.5 tires would be used today but we still use the original 8.25-20 bias ply tube tires on it. It has a 4 speed transmission (make un known to me maybe spicer/eaton) and a 350 Chevy V8 gasser. I have always wanted to drop a 6v53T and a 5 speed in it myself.

Good luck

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

This past Macungie someone had a 6v53 in a Ford. I have to find the picture as it fit perferctly in the engine bay. Not sure of the transmission though.

As for a trans would a lighter 5 speed and two speed axle be lighter? I have a feeling the 10 speed would be a pain because you now have to deal with air plumbing for the range selector. But if your adding air ride then it might not be a big problem. You could also try using the axle from a 5500 GMC with hyd disc brakes, they have smaller eight bolt hubs but you can get aluminum 22.5 rims for them.

Our GMC 6000 has a single speed dana axle with ten lugs but only 22.5x6.75 rims can be used because of the smaller GMC bolt pattern. 9R22.5 tires would be used today but we still use the original 8.25-20 bias ply tube tires on it. It has a 4 speed transmission (make un known to me maybe spicer/eaton) and a 350 Chevy V8 gasser. I have always wanted to drop a 6v53T and a 5 speed in it myself.

Good luck

yea a 5 spd would be the right thing to do but i want this to be a crazy idea and i love to drive truck so thats why i want a 10 spd also love detroits to so you see why i want to do this the 22.5 tires will just add to the look