1946 Mack Ls85 Fire Truck - Help Please!

gmbelt

Greetings:

I have the opportunity to purchase what has been described to me as a 1946 Mack LS85 fire engine. The truck needs some work, but if it isn't rescued, it will be parted out. I am not familiar with trucks or fire engines, but this looks like a nice piece of apparatus from the the few photos I've seen. Did Mack make an LS85 in 1946?

The seller says all the truck needs is a carburetor and a battery to make it run. Where would I likely obtain the carburator or other parts necessary to get the truck "squared away"? It is worth of restoration, but I'm not the mechanical type. Where do you folks turn for parts, etc.?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance and advice.

Regards,

Gary M. Belt

Manassas, VA

Gary,

The carb and battery are still available. The truck most likely has a Mack ENF 707 engine. there are several carburator rebuild shops that carry some new and some rebuilt carbs for the 707. You will need 2 standard exide 24F (ford) batteries, (available at most retailers like Kmart, Pep Boys, Auto zone etc. )that replace the 4 original 6 volt batteries.

If you have pictures of the the truck and would like to post them we can also see what other work may be needed.

If the truck has been stored inside it would most likely be worth restoring, if it has been put outside for long- they don't last long and may be beyond saving.

Good Luck,

Firemack

Gary,

The carb and battery are still available. The truck most likely has a Mack ENF 707 engine. there are several carburator rebuild shops that carry some new and some rebuilt carbs for the 707. You will need 2 standard exide 24F (ford) batteries, (available at most retailers like Kmart, Pep Boys, Auto zone etc. )that replace the 4 original 6 volt batteries.

If you have pictures of the the truck and would like to post them we can also see what other work may be needed.

If the truck has been stored inside it would most likely be worth restoring, if it has been put outside for long- they don't last long and may be beyond saving.

Good Luck,

Firemack

Firemack:

Thanks for the prompt response. The truck has been stored inside and reportedly needs some minor body work to take care of some rust. It also needs to be painted. I'm a novice at this and I'm wondering what a professional paint job will likely cost. Also, I'm not mechanically inclined, so what is the best method to have one of these trucks worked on, etc.

Regards,

Gary

Gary,

You can ask on this site for someone local in VA and see if you can find a shop that will work on older trucks. You can also check with the local SPAAMFAA chapter, ATCA and ATHS chapters (all have websites) and they may be able to help you find a reputable local shop to help you get the truck operational. Paint jobs can cost anywhere from $2000- $40000 depending on how much work and how much you want to spend.

I had a friend with a 1948 Mack L85 that had it painted at Maaco for $2500, it looked good. For a personal truck like yours that is not a bad option, if you don't know how or have any friends that can paint.

Firemack