Fast idle ????

Need to know what rpms a fast idle would be.  Our e9 turbo spills oil like crazy idling at 800 rpm.  And if it is cold.  Figure it may need rebuilt, but it quits smoking after the engine get so 150 or so and headed down the road.  Any opinions or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

High idle would be around 850-900rpm. I run mine there to warm-up or if it is running parked for over 15-20 minutes. The turbo oil spill is out on the engine or out the stacks? Either way you have bad oil seals, shaft wear or a plugged oil return line from the turbo. It is real bad if you start leaking oil into the intake side. Get the turbo replaced before you have a run away and a junk E9. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, it is on the intake side.  I don't think it is a plugged line.  The turbo needs rebuilt.  Just not what I want to hear in our busy season.  I do remember a bunch of bad stories about turbos going to pieces.  I just needed a second opinion.  Do you have a favorite place I can get it rebuilt?

Thanks!

Tim

I am one of the Hot Rod E9 guys and would not be the one to steer you to a stock turbo. A nice upgrade would be a Borg Warner though. Have a few old turbos laying around but... You might hurt yourself or your engine for sure.  I can tell you that back in Sept. I got manifolds and a fan clutch from CL733 in parts for sale. He had a used turbo for a E9 as well for $200. After getting my parts I would not be afraid of getting that turbo from him for a stock engine.  Just checked but he has not been on BMT since Oct. If you want I can try and find his phone number. Get that turbo and have yours rebuilt for a spare. A rebuild and/or exchange should be less than $1000 anyway, far less than a broke engine running a bad turbo.  About 2-3 hours for the job should be a one nighter and not disrupt your schedule at all.:rolleyes:

Big Dog,

Hey, yeah, I'm in a totally different class than you guys.  I watched Killer Mack on you tube the other day, and yeah, I don't need that much power.  Do you pull?  I have no idea how those rears take that kind of beating!  I will watch for CL733 and if you can get a phone number, I'll see if he still has the turbo.  I use to keep a spare when we were running the ENDT's.  Few hundred then would keep a new one.  Thanks so much!