1929 (?) Mack Fire Truck - Newbie Infomation

My local fire department has what they believe to be a 1929 modle year Mack Firetruck. Nobody seems to know much about it. They used it in the past for the local Christmas parade but it has not run for about three years. I won't bore you with the long story about why but I've committed to helping them get this thing lit off again.

Apparently, it had a leaking water pump and carb. They managed to get these components rebuilt and recored the radiator. Someone lost the gooseneck fitting for the thermostat housing and they need another one to get it running. Where do I go for this?

The truck appears to be a Type 90 fire truck (found a copy of the Mack Corp.'s 1929 annual report that ahd a pciture of the various trucks it sold at the time and the Type 90 seems to be what we have). The name plate located under the dash reads as follows:

Chasis: 6BGIS1470

Model: BG

The truck has the original markings on it from the Boothbay Harbor, ME fire Dept. Nobody here seems to know when the truck was obtianed here in Pearland, Texas or why. I'm trying to locate some oldtimers from the fire depatment to hep sort that out.

I'm looking for the following:

1 - Lead on where to obtain a replacement for the missing thermostat housing (may havve to make one -should be simple enough)

2 - Lead on anyone who may know something about these old trcuks. If it were a 1948-50 Ford, I would be in good shape but I know nothing about old Mack's

3 - Lead on where to get a service manual for this thing.

4 - Some soort of confirmation that it has the original engine in it so that I can avoid going on a wild goose chase. A lead on engine photos from a restored 1929 Mack Type 90 fire truck would be very helpful.

5 - Did they use the same engines for different model trucks? I suspect they did but .....

6 - Is there a good source of information on these old trucks?

7 - Is there a sparate engine number and where would it be located?

8 - Is there some way to research the history of the truck through Mack. I have a good friend in NC who is an Electrical Engineer at Volvo Truck who apparently recently aquired Renault and consequently Mack. I spoke to him about this truck tonight and he is going to try to help me out at Mack but promised nothing in the way of results. On another note, there is supposed to be an Antique big truck show in Greensboro this weekend. He plans to attend and ask for help for me there.

9 - Is there a common term for this type of truck. I've seen "B" series truck (whicha appear to be a newere truck than this, "A" series, "R" series (again, apparently a much newer style truck. Just want to learn to lear the lingo and better identify what threads on here will pertain to what I am dealing with.

Many more questions but this should get me moving.

I am not a member of the fire department here and in no way affiliated with it. The truck is in very nice shape for an 80 year old truck (sevicable paint, no corrosion that I could see, appears to have always been kept under cover, nicw seats, all of the pumping gear and the tank). Apparently the fire department is becoming frustrated with the lack of progress on getting it moving again and has sugested getting rid of it. I'd hate to see this happen so I offered to help out, My current restoration projects are a 1929 Farmall Regular tractor (my father suckered me into this one), a collection of 1948-50 Ford trucks, a 1979 BMW MC, and 1960's vintage Model T Shirners Mini Car. I need this Mack project like I need another hole in the head but lthis ooked like such an easy job to get it back on the road that I agreed to it. Any help would be very much appreciated. I will try to get some photos tomorrow.

Best Carl G. - Pearland, TX

Carl,

Thanks for helping keep that Old Mack running at the Fire Company! You have what is known as the Early B Model Mack. The second B Model Fire Truck was built from 1954-1966.

There are several books on the Mack Fire Trucks and Mack Trucks which could help you, they are by Harvey Eckart The Mack Fire Truck expert. look them up on ebay etc. Also you should contact the Mack Museum 610-266-6767 and give them the serial number, they will be able to provide the original information, original owner and possibly the service manuals for the truck. Make sure to send them a donation ($100-$200) to cover the research and copying.

The engine is most likely a Continental, and you should be able to find the parts once you know the information on the engine and can post it on this website in the parts wanted section.

Good Luck,

FireMack

Thanks for the reply Firemack. I did get in touch with the museum on Friday and they are sending me what they have on it. I will make certain that thye get a donation even if it comes out of my own funds.

I alos got in touch with the Bootbay Harbor Fire Department on Friday, They are going to do a little research for me on the truck to see if they have anything.

I alos spoke with Matt Pfahl in Connecticut on Frday. Apparently he redid on 1935 version of this truck for the Weston, CT Fire Department rather recently. Oddly enough, this is the area of CT where my family homesteaded back in the 1800's and my father grew up there. Small world. I still have a couple of relative who can swing by the fire station there to get me some pictures if need be.

I have a buddy at Volvo Truck who is working on getting me the part if it is still available or perhaps a copy of the original drawing for the part if the part is no longer sold. He's making no promises but sys it is a possibility, particlarly if I can get him a part number. If it's a Continental Engine, he may not be able to deliver.

I found a number stamped into a flat boss on the engine. It reads : BG7-82 Not sure if that will mean anything.

I have photos but not yet certain how to post. The truck is in excellent condition for being almost 80 years old.

Thanks for the lead on a Mack Fire Truck expert. I will try to chase that down as well. I'm in a bit of a time crunch as I really would like to get this lit off for the upcoming Christmas parade.

Thank you again.

Carl

post-2858-1225610226_thumb.jpg

post-2858-1225610349_thumb.jpg

Carl,

I checked on my Harvey Eckart book for early B series is in the Mack Fire Trucks 1911-2005 book. In the section on Early B Fire series, it lists some information regarding this truck.

Chasis: 6BGIS1470

Model: BG

The serial number is broken down into

6 for six cylinder

BG for chassis type

the next letter should be a 6 for fire truck

S for shaft drive

1470 was the 469th truck built (starts at 1001)

The engine number BG7-82 looks like original

The engine is a Mack 6 cylinder, L head design with dual iginition

You should have a type 50 with a Chassis BG was an 80Horsepower 500GPM Hale pump,

From the pictures the truck looks like it is in excellent condition.

Matt Pfahl is an excellent source of older parts. Another good source for old firetruck parts is Cal Little in Pennsylvania at 717-566-8973.

Also here is a similar truck for sale in Texas to possibly contact them to see and make a template of the the missing part(s)

FOR SALE: For Sale: 1932 Mack Fire Truck ( Model BG Type 50 Ladder). All original ladders and fire hooks are on the truck. The fire truck is located in Houston, Texas. Contact: descant@sbcglobal.net or 713-248-1202. (05/05/08---08-18)

Hope that helps,

Firemack