24 Ls Type 80 - Cluch Replacement

Phyrphighter

Hello All !

I have a 42 LS80. The clutch is on the end of its servicable life. I have located a remanufactured clutch and pressure plate for just over $500.00. Sound fair ?? also - have any of you changed one of these? I am mechanically handy but I am not sure if i should attempt this or find someone to do it for me.

Thanks

Barry

Barry,

That is a good price on the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing, I paid about $550 to have mine sent out and remanufactured. I also had my flywheel turned and cost $60 to turn the fly wheel. The pilot bushing is ball bearing so may just need to be cleaned and lightly repacked.

Good luck,

FireMack

Thanks for the info so far guys. My garage does have a concrete floor and I have access to a 2000lb tranny jack ..... I also have both the Mack and the Motors manuals.... I have talked to a friend at a local truck garage here and he is checking to see if his garage will do it. but I really think I may be able to do it myself. Gonna get the clutch ordered at least. Does the throwout bearing need to be pressed off ?? if so - I may have an issue .

Phryphighter,

The Throwout bearing goes over the input shaft of the transmission, and if I remember correctly it had 2 clips that hold it , so no pressing of bearings on the project. The most important issue is to make sure you have a dummy input shaft to line up the clutch disk and pressure plate so when you go to reinstall the transmission to the back of the engine the input shaft can line up. If you can't find or borrow a dummy input shaft then use about a 1" dowel or broomstick handle to align them..

Firemack

• 1 month later...

I pulled my transmission a couple winters ago in a 1945 Mack type 45, because the clutch plates were stuck together and wouldn't come apart. Luckily, I had a 'cousin' that worked at a local truck repair shop that had a large transmmission carrier. We pulled the tranny and the truck jumped up 2 inches from the loss of weight. Removed the clutch mechanism and had it remanufactured locally. Had a bear of a job putting the tranny back in since the truck was now positioned differently. THe transmission did have several adjustments.

We remembered to put several steel dowels in several of the mounting holes when we took it out, so the tranny slid in after a fashion.

The truck was not on a lift. Everything was done from a concrete floor in a heated garage, on our backs. Ugh!

While you're at it, check the condition and amount of fluid in the tranny.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. I did get the Clutch done in my garage with the help of a friend ( I should say GOOD friend cause nothing is lightweight in that job !) It was reletively problem free working on my concrete garage floor with a good tranny jack. I bought a clutch alignment tool (plastic) that made that part a breeze. It took a little patients to get everything lined up to put it back in but we got it, its all adjusted and working well !

Barry (L) AKA Phyrphighter