Need Help With My 1931 Mack

dewster67

Hello. I work for the Westport Fire Dept. in Massachusetts. We just recently recovered our 1931 MACK that had been sitting out exposed to the elements for 40 years. This truck was special. Possibly the first 1000 gallon engine in the country with a 500 gallon a minute cross chasis pump. It also came with 1 1/2" and 1 1/8 " hose which was also rare for around our parts at that time. Initally MACK would not warranty the chasis because they didn't think it would work. Once they were proved wrong, them promoted this truck in their MACK publications. They even asked to borrow it to display at a show in New Jersey which our fire chief allowed them to do. It was also rumored that MACK wanted to purchase it back to display in their showroom. Basically I am trying to find out the best way to start to restore this rare piece of MACK history. I would be grateful for any imput

Dewster,

That is great that you found the truck, The first order of business is write to the Mack Museum to get all of the original build sheets pictures etc. of your engine when built. While the Mack museum is assembling this info, you should determine where you will keep the truck and if you have resources to restore the truck in house at your Firestation, or if you want it restored by a restoration shop. Once you have that determined you can then start to develop a budget for the restoration, determining on the level of restoration- and if you want to show the truck or use it for a fun truck.

Once you have a budget you can then start the process of getting the funding in place for the restoration. I do not recommend trying to start the restoration unitl you have a plan in place and know who will be doing the work etc. Many fire trucks get torn down and then the companies abandon the project because once it is in a 1000 pieces no one can drive and have fun with it so it gets hard to keep the momentum going and they lose interest.

I have attached a link to our website and the restoration of our 1954 B75 Mack Pumper- 1 of 54 made. It was restored in house by the Mack team at Radnor Fire Company. We have spent about 4000 hours on the truck since we re purchased the truck in 2002. We acted as a General contractor and controlled the restoration for any work we could not do in house-(sheet metal fabrication, painting etc.) if you read this story it will provide you with guidance on how we approached the restoration, and had it completed in roughly 18 months. http://www.radnorfire.com/mack.php

There are planty of resources that are on this website (Bigmack trucks.com) that can help you with the information to help you get the restoration completed- if you decide to go with a in house restoration or have it handled by a restoration shop.

Good Luck and congratulations on finding your old Mack!

Firemack

Dewster,

That is great that you found the truck, The first order of business is write to the Mack Museum to get all of the original build sheets pictures etc. of your engine when built. While the Mack museum is assembling this info, you should determine where you will keep the truck and if you have resources to restore the truck in house at your Firestation, or if you want it restored by a restoration shop. Once you have that determined you can then start to develop a budget for the restoration, determining on the level of restoration- and if you want to show the truck or use it for a fun truck.

Once you have a budget you can then start the process of getting the funding in place for the restoration. I do not recommend trying to start the restoration unitl you have a plan in place and know who will be doing the work etc. Many fire trucks get torn down and then the companies abandon the project because once it is in a 1000 pieces no one can drive and have fun with it so it gets hard to keep the momentum going and they lose interest.

I have attached a link to our website and the restoration of our 1954 B75 Mack Pumper- 1 of 54 made. It was restored in house by the Mack team at Radnor Fire Company. We have spent about 4000 hours on the truck since we re purchased the truck in 2002. We acted as a General contractor and controlled the restoration for any work we could not do in house-(sheet metal fabrication, painting etc.) if you read this story it will provide you with guidance on how we approached the restoration, and had it completed in roughly 18 months. http://www.radnorfire.com/mack.php

There are planty of resources that are on this website (Bigmack trucks.com) that can help you with the information to help you get the restoration completed- if you decide to go with a in house restoration or have it handled by a restoration shop.

Good Luck and congratulations on finding your old Mack!

Fire Mack,

Is there any way I can determine the year of our MACK? I believe it to be a 1931 because it did not have the bulldog on it. Also, I know we received it in June of 1931

Firemack

Dewster67,

It is difficult to determine the model year as many times the year was determined when it was registered. The Mack Museum can tell you when it was built and delivered. Make that your first task, contact the Mack Museum and it will help you answer a lot of your questions both now and during the restoration.

Firemack

• 6 months later...
Guest fireman61
Hello. I work for the Westport Fire Dept. in Massachusetts. We just recently recovered our 1931 MACK that had been sitting out exposed to the elements for 40 years. This truck was special. Possibly the first 1000 gallon engine in the country with a 500 gallon a minute cross chasis pump. It also came with 1 1/2" and 1 1/8 " hose which was also rare for around our parts at that time. Initally MACK would not warranty the chasis because they didn't think it would work. Once they were proved wrong, them promoted this truck in their MACK publications. They even asked to borrow it to display at a show in New Jersey which our fire chief allowed them to do. It was also rumored that MACK wanted to purchase it back to display in their showroom. Basically I am trying to find out the best way to start to restore this rare piece of MACK history. I would be grateful for any imput

hey would like to see some pics my fire dept has a 31 model bb. we are in the process of restoration

• 2 months later...