B-61 Cooling System

I am getting ready to swap out a 673 for a e-6 285 with a 5 speed. Will I have to change anything about the rad. other than clean it? Is it big enough to cool this engine. I will be using this truck as a big pickup mostly to just drive around and sometimes pull a gooseneck horse trailer.

• 4 weeks later...
I am getting ready to swap out a 673 for a e-6 285 with a 5 speed. Will I have to change anything about the rad. other than clean it? Is it big enough to cool this engine. I will be using this truck as a big pickup mostly to just drive around and sometimes pull a gooseneck horse trailer.

I see you have no replies, so I will take a stab at it. The short answer is that you would only have a problem if you were pulling real loads (40 to 50k) in the mountains or the summer time. For your application, I doubt you will have a problem.

Some additional thoughts,

-be sure the horizontal fins are in good shape and do not pull away from the vertical water tubes. If the lower fins are rotten, replace the core.

-If you do have to replace the core, ask about using a core with an additional row of tubes. (check fan clearances and be prepared to use the water pump from the 673)

-I would add a pyrometer to be sure you limit exhaust heat to 1150 deg F. This will assure you that the air intake system is able to provide sufficient air

-I would consider keeping the original transmission, water temps are higher if you are pulling hard at 1200 rpm compared to 1700.

-Leave the original spec thermostat in the engine

I would like to see a picture of this when you are finished. peteslagel@earthlink.net

Pete