Newbie Looking For Information

Guest 57plymouth

Guest 57plymouth

Good morning! I'm new to the world of heavy trucks. My wife and I are car entusiasts. I have a 57 Plymouth that has been in my family since new, a 1980 Dodge Lil Red Express Truck clone, and she has a 1969 RS/SS Camaro ProTouring project. We recently towed my 57 to Tulsa behind the Lil Red, and found that the truck is more hot rod than tow rig. Since we have a kid on the way, we got to thinking that we may as well drop the other shoe and get a vintage commercial truck with a sleeper cab and a flatbed to load the three antiques on.

So you know where this is going...

Since my last two projects (the 57 and the Lil Red) were both very hard to find parts for, we think that we should hunt up a vehicle that parts can be found for. So what is the most popular truck to restore that would have a sleeper cab? We want to find something that we can get parts for. We obviously like older stuff, since the Lil Red is my daily driver.

What should we look for, and what problems are common to look out for? Which model and year range is best, and why? It doesn't have to be fast, we figure that with all three vehicles on a flatbed, most any truck will be understressed.